Located in the Robert E. Kennedy Library, the Special Collections and Archives Department collects, preserves, and makes available primary sources of a rare, unique or specialized nature. Consonant with the educational mission of the university, collections are acquired and maintained in support of the university’s curriculum, with emphasis on architecture; environmental design; ethnic studies; fine printing and graphic arts; local and California history; and the history, growth and development of California Polytechnic State University. While the department’s holdings are developed for the university, they are available for use by visiting scholars and the general public as well as Cal Poly students, faculty and staff.
- University Archives is located in the Special Collections department. Click here for contacts and directions.
- Open Hours
- Maps and Location
Accessing University Archives
University Archives shares Special Collections’ access procedures and policies.
- Collections access and research support
- How to use the University Archives collections and how to get assistance. The University Archives Department is staffed to provide access and expertise on its holdings. It is not staffed to do research.
- Reading room guidelines
- Holdings of the University Archives Department are available to faculty, staff, students, and the public for research, within conditions imposed by donor agreements and institutional policy.
- Reproductions and reprographics
- How to get reproduction of items in the collections.
We collect archival and printed materials on the history, growth, and development of Cal Poly. This section provides more information, including other giving opportunities.
- What we collect
- University Archives collects a wide variety of archival material related to the history, growth, and development of Cal Poly.
- Collection development
- Collecting guidelines and Cal Poly authors policy statement.
- University Archives welcomes gifts and donations.
- Deaccession policy
- From Special Collections, guidelines for the deaccession of Materials.
Collections, History, and Publication
- Collections: Information about University Archives Collections
- Cal Poly History and Online Exhibitions: Highlights in the history of Cal Poly and other exhibits
Presidents, timelines, historical photos. Learn about campus history, events, and traditions.