If you’re looking for resources, use OneSearch.
Find Course Reserves.Circulation Policies
Cal Poly/CSU users
|Group||Book/DVD/Video||Good Reads/Bound Journal||Loan Limit||Course Reserves (Limit 3 items)|
|Faculty, Staff, Emeritus, Sponsored Visiting/Research Scholars||90 days/unlimited renewals||3 weeks/3 renewals||999 items||Hourly|
|Undergraduate Students||6 weeks/1 renewal||3 weeks/3 renewals||200 items||Hourly|
|Graduate Students||90 days/1 renewal||3 weeks/3 renewals||200 items||Hourly|
|Other CSU Student/Faculty/Staff||6 weeks/1 renewal||3 weeks/3 renewals||200 items||Hourly|
- Materials renew automatically if eligible.
- Graduating students’ privileges expire three months after the graduation day of that current quarter.
- Other CSU faculty, staff and students must present current ID card. Other CSU alumni may purchase a community membership.
- Visiting/Research scholars in residences present proof of attachment to a department at Cal Poly.
Cal Poly Alumni; Cal Poly Users’ (Faculty/Staff/Students) significant others and children; Cuesta Students and Faculty; Mustang Parent; Library Volunteers; State Agencies
|Group||Membership Cost||Book/DVD/Video||Good Reads/Bound Journal||Loan Limits|
|Cal Poly Alumni||Free||3 weeks/3 renewals||3 weeks/3 renewals||10 items|
|Cal Poly Spouse/Child||Free||3 weeks/3 renewals||3 weeks/3 renewals||10 items|
|Cuesta Faculty/Student||Free||3 weeks/3 renewals||3 weeks/3 renewals||10 items|
|Mustang Parent Partner/Patron||Free||3 weeks/3 renewals||3 weeks/3 renewals||10 items|
|Library Volunteer||Free||3 weeks/3 renewals||3 weeks/3 renewals||10 items|
|State Agency Employee||Free||3 weeks/3 renewals||3 weeks/3 renewals||10 items|
Cal Poly Alumni
- Present Cal Poly Alumni card.
Cal Poly Spouse/Family
- Cal Poly employee must be present to register and present Cal Poly id.
- Present current Cuesta ID or proof of enrollment/employment.
- Present current membership card with donor level of “partner” or “patron.”
State Agency Employee
- Present proof of employment at California State agency.
|Group||Annual Membership Costs||Book/DVD/Video/Good Reads/Bound Journal||Loan Limits|
|Community User||$60/account holder
$30/Senior (60+) account holder
$10/additional family member cards
|3 weeks/3 renewals||10 items|
|SLO County Teacher||$30||3 weeks/3 renewals||10 items|
|SLO County High School Student||$10||3 weeks/3 renewals||10 items|
|3 weeks/3 renewals||10 items|
- Membership is open to all individuals and/or corporate entities.
- Provide picture ID and proof of San Luis Obispo County residency.
- SLO County teachers/students show school ID.
- More information for community members.
How to renew materials
- Library materials will renew automatically as long as they are eligible for renewal. If materials cannot be renewed, a notice to return will be issued, at which time materials must be returned to the library.
- Items will not be renewed for patrons with fines, recalled books, or if the item(s) have been requested by another patron.
- Items cannot be renewed by phone or email to the library.
- When viewing library account, the “renew” option will only appear if materials are eligible to be renewed.
- All library materials are subject to recall by the library.
- If an item is needed for Course Reserves use, it will be recalled.
- A recall notice is emailed with the new due date for the book.
- If the book is not returned by the new due date listed on the notice, library privileges may be suspended and recall charges of $1.00/day will accrue. This charge is in addition to the maximum fines listed for book type and there is no maximum limit to these charges.
How to pay a fine
- Fines may be paid by check at the circulation desk.
- Fines may be paid by cash or check at the State Cashier (Administration Building, Room 131E). To remove your academic hold immediately, return your paid receipt to the library’s circulation desk.
|Library materials (for affiliated/public users)||$0.20 per day per item ($15.00 per item maximum)|
|Course Reserves hourly/daily loans||$1.00 per hour per item ($50.00 per item maximum)|
|Items recalled||$1.00 per day per item (no maximum limit)|
Overdue fine policies
- When library materials are checked out, a Loan Receipt email is sent indicating due date.
- Most library materials will renew automatically one (1) time. If materials cannot be renewed, a Courtesy Notice to return will be issued.
- Charges and fines are cumulative. They are not erased at the end of a quarter or academic year. Once your account shows charges of $10.00 or more, you will be required to pay the entire amount before you may renew or check out any materials. All charges are due and payable upon occurrence. You may view your library account at any time to verify charges and due dates of materials you have checked out.
- Academic holds are placed on student accounts when library charges are $10 or more. All charges must be paid in order to release this hold. Failure to pay these charges will suspend borrowing privileges and may delay registration.
Lost and damaged materials
Patrons are billed for lost or damaged library materials. A notice is emailed and library privileges are suspended until library charges are cleared. In addition, an academic hold is placed on the records of current and former Cal Poly students. The suspension and/or hold remain in effect until all library charges are cleared.
A patron billed for a lost or damaged item has two choices to clear his/her record.
- Pay the replacement fee as billed.
- Go to the circulation desk and request to purchase a replacement.
- Library staff will submit a request to the applicable college librarian.
- If approved, when you purchase the replacement and pay the $15 processing fee, the hold will be cleared from your account.
Note: Under the California Education Code, it is a misdemeanor to tear, cut, deface, or willfully detain any library materials.
All circulation and interlibrary loan notifications will be handled via email. Make sure that your email information is current in the Cal Poly Portal.
You can also login to your library account to check due dates and view fines.
- Locate the item in OneSearch.
- Login to your library account.
- Click on “request”.
- You will receive an email notification when the item is available.
Suggest materials for the library collection
To make a recommendation, use the Materials Request form which will go to our Information Resources and Resource Sharing department.
How materials are selected
Staff members research suggestions and consult with the relevant college librarian before placing orders. Information Resources and Resource Sharing also determines whether suggested materials conform to existing collecting policies and guidelines for that discipline.
Want more information?
If you have questions, you can contact your College Librarian.
- Use Interlibrary Loan (ILL) to request items not available at Kennedy Library or through CSU+.