Learn by Doing Scholar Awards: Recognizing the Impact of Cal Poly’s Award Signature Pedagogy
About the Awards
The Learn by Doing Scholar Awards recognize outstanding faculty contributions to Cal Poly’s signature pedagogy of Learn by Doing. These awards emphasize the impact of Cal Poly’s distinctive educational approach by translating learning into practice to make a difference in disciplines and industries across California and around the world. Successful applications will provide compelling evidence of the impact of Learn by Doing through curriculum-related instructional and research/creative activities, as well as demonstrate an academically rigorous and student-centered approach to learning. The Library Dean’s Advisory Council established the Learn by Doing Scholar Awards in 2014, and they continue to be supported by generous donors.
All Cal Poly faculty (Unit 3) who have been employed for at least one quarter during the current academic year are eligible to apply for the awards. Previous award recipients are not eligible.
Applications will be evaluated based on the originality of the activity or project and the unique application of Learn by Doing pedagogies, as well as how it achieves the following outcomes:
- Translating learning into practice by engaging students in the discipline, industry and/or community.
- Inspiring students to value the link between learning and practical application.
- Leveraging collaborative partnerships in the discipline, and industry and/or community.
- Addressing the challenges and needs of today (and tomorrow) in the discipline, industry, and/or community.
- Working across disciplines, academic institutions and/or other external partnerships.
- Positively impacting people and industries in California, across the country, and around the world through disciplinary application.
- Demonstrating the achievement of student learning outcomes through a student-focused and academically rigorous approach that includes assessment of student learning.
How to Apply
For questions regarding the application process, please contact one of the coordinators:
A complete application will include the following four (4) elements submitted through an online form:
Contact information for applicant and collaborators and/or students.
A description of the original project or activity that explains the unique application of Learn by Doing and addresses the outcomes listed in the above criteria.
Brief biographical sketches for the applicant and any collaborators and/or students.
One example of evidence of impact on student learning (e.g., student testimonials, media coverage, professional award, scholarly paper or presentation).
Dr. Jasmine Nation, Liberal Studies
Dr. Alejandra Yep, Biological Sciences
Randi Barros, Interdisciplinary Studies in Liberal Arts
Cal Poly Short Cuts Student Film Festival
Pauline Faure, Aerospace Engineering
ETOILES PowerSat Project – A Small but Mighty Spacecraft to Tackle Climate Change
|Completed Award/Career Award
|Proposed or In-Progress Award/Emerging