Third Annual Learn by Doing Scholar Awards
The Learn by Doing Scholar Awards recognize faculty who are advancing the practice of Learn by Doing through research on Learn by Doing. The purpose of the awards is both to acknowledge work that contributes to shared understanding of effective Learn by Doing practices, and also to encourage Cal Poly faculty to share their work with a broad audience, whether through publication, presentation, or other means.
Two awards are given each year: an award of $2000 for completed research and an award of $1000 for proposed or in-progress research.
All current members of the Cal Poly faculty (lecturers, tenure-track, tenured) are eligible to apply for either award. Individual and team (collaborative) applications are welcome. For teams that include non-Cal Poly collaborators or Cal Poly students the primary researcher must have conducted the research as a faculty member of Cal Poly.
The applications for the LBD Scholar Awards 2017 are closed!
- Download the 2017 Request for Proposals for complete application information
- Application Cover Sheet – Completed Research
- Application Cover Sheet – Proposed or In-Progress Research
Deadline for Submission: Monday, March 6, 2017, 5p.m.
The Learn by Doing Scholar Awards were established in 2014, and the first awards were given in May 2015.
- 2015 – J. Kevin Taylor (Kinesiology)
- 2016 – Brian Self (Mechanical Engineering) and James Widmann (Mechanical Engineering)
Proposed or In-Progress Award
- 2015 – Steffen Peuker (Mechanical Engineering) and Jennifer Mott (Mechanical Engineering)
- 2016 – Alan Kiste and Gregory Scott (Chemistry and Biochemistry)
2017 Learn by Doing Scholar Awards selection committee members
- Brian Greenwood, College of Agriculture, Food, and Environmental Sciences
- Margarita Hill, College of Architecture and Environmental Design
- Anurag Pande, College of Engineering
- Jennifer Jipson, College of Liberal Arts
- Kevin Taylor, College of Science and Mathematics & School of Education
- Brennan Davis, Orfalea College of Business
- Brett Bodemer, Kennedy Library (Chair)
Please contact Brett Bodemer, Chair of the Learn by Doing Awards Committee, at ude.yloplacnull@remedobb or 805-756-2203.