Love at first study with Lauren Young

Photo of biology and philosophy books in Kennedy Library

This is the first post in a series by Lauren Young, fourth year biology student, LibRAT and chair of SLAC (more on those acronyms below!). Lauren will be (meta)blogging about how she is working this year to combine her love of science and writing, in her preparations for a career in science communication. These preparations intersect with her deep involvement with and many valuable contributions to Kennedy Library.

Love at First Study

It’s a running joke with my friends that Kennedy Library is my second home. Since freshman year, one of my favorite things to do is discover new nooks and crannies for studying in the five-story building.

What can I say? It was love at first study.

A little bit more about myself

I am a senior biology major at Cal Poly, but I fell in love with Plato and Homer in my English classes.

My English professor gave me a hint and a nudge in the direction of science writing and communications. A career in this field is perfect for my skills as a biology major and English minor. After doing a happy dance for finding my calling, I realized that the only writing I’ve done has been for English essays and lab reports.

As a Library Research Assistant Technician (better known as LibRAT) and Student Library Advisory Council (SLAC) member I had my ear to the ground for ways I could get writing experience through the library. That’s how I heard about Kennedy Library Out Loud. I immediately jumped on their storytelling bandwagon and the rest is history.

Special correspondent at large

My final year at Cal Poly is going to be filled with fun. I will be a senior LibRAT, chair of SLAC, a blogger for Kennedy Library Out Loud, and an editor for new undergraduate academic journal I’m working on with Digital Scholarship Services for my senior project. As you can see I’m immersed up to my chin, which gives me a ton of cool adventures to share with you.

Join me next time and I’ll dish more about LibRATs, SLAC, and my other projects with Kennedy Library!

One Comment
  1. Josephine Le #

Fantastic, Lauren! I’m so happy you’re embarking on this exciting journey and sharing it with your fellow peers! I’m really looking forward to reading more about your new projects with the library!

September 16, 2013