Matchmaker: Finding your literary soul mate

Photo of KT

This is a guest post by Kristen Thorp, the Student Assistant Coordinator for Access Services. In her spare time she manages the library’s Good Reads collection. She’s excited to receive her MLIS in June.

Remember video stores?

For those who may not, movies used to be acquired by driving to physical, brick and mortar stores in the neighborhood in order to borrow the hottest releases at a hefty cost per VHS tape. You would keep the movie for a set amount of days and then you had to drive back to the store to return it. What a pain!

I have fond memories of going to my local mom-and-pop shop, Video Depot. In the very back, but not behind a curtain, they had a shelf of staff picks. Week after week I would comb through Billy’s shelf because even though I was only eight years old, twenty-year-old video clerk Billy was my VHS soul mate.

New bookmarks in Good Reads

Recommending fun books to people is one of my favorite things to do, and unfortunately my job doesn’t consist of sitting in the Good Reads section near Julian’s, waiting for an intrepid reader to need my help.

So, keeping the video store’s staff picks in mind, I found a way to recommend titles to people without wasting eight hours of my day. Now in Good Reads you can look for handy bookmarks, designed by student Fiona Fung. Placed inside books that staff and faculty recommend, these bookmarks let you know that the book you are feeling wishy-washy about is a favorite of someone at Kennedy Library. Maybe you will find your literary soul mate!

I wonder what Billy is up to?

My first staff picks: The Raven Boys by Maggie Steivafter and Every Day by David Levithan.

More from Kristen: The history of fun reading.