Journey into library land: Before we get started

Photo of Victoria Billings and Stephen Chbosky

If you’ve spent much time in Kennedy Library recently, you’ve probably seen me. I’m running around, often with a camera or notepad, ducking back and forth between offices on the second floor and sometimes in the elevator going up and down and back up again on errands. Occasionally, I also use the library’s space for studying, too.

I’m a journalism senior at Cal Poly, but I’m also communications and public programs student assistant at Kennedy Library. It’s a mouthful, but as you’ve probably guessed, that title is the easiest way to describe the multitude of duties I perform.

Over the past six months since I started at Kennedy Library, I’ve written blog posts on exhibits, created videos about our college librarians, Banned Books Week and Science Café events, interviewed one of my favorite authors, Stephen Chbosky (that’s us above, on stage at Chumash Auditorium in front of 500+), been instrumental in setting up a Twitter account for the library and learned an incredible amount about the workings of a university library.

This quarter, I’m lucky enough to have convinced the journalism department’s internship coordinator to let me count my work here at Kennedy Library as an internship towards my degree, and I start a whole new leg on my journey into Library Land.

My boss, Karen Lauritsen, has been kind enough to agree to help me complete an internship at the library, which means she’s taking on the double role of boss and instructor. And my job, which has always been a learning experience, will now involve writing up for a grade exactly what I’ve learned every two weeks.

Which is where this blog comes in. This quarter, for your entertainment and for my grade, I’ll be quite literally learning by blogging, writing up my experiences and sharing how Kennedy Library helped me gain real world experience in the media. Look for the series, Journey into Library Land this quarter!