The Rude Awakening of a Jane Austen Addict, by Laurie Viera Rigler

I didn’t realize when I bought this audiobook on sale that it was a sequel, though now that I’ve listened to it, I may go back and get the earlier book.

There seems to be a whole genre of Jane Austen spinoffs, and this one got good reviews. The premise is that Jane, a reader of Jane Austen, from that era, takes a spill off her horse and is transported into the body and life of a 21st century woman — who apparently bumped her head in a swimming pool, and went in the opposite direction, into the body and life of the young woman who fell off the horse. Rude Awakening is the 21st century half of the story; Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict is the 18th century portion.

The early chapters of the book were slow going for me: to listen to a character describe in excruciating detail a familiar modern object (square, glowing red numbers, on and on — ALARM CLOCK, dammit!) grew old very fast. But once the Austen-style romantic complications got underway, I found it a satisfying read/listen. I’ll probably look for her earlier book, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict as well.

author photo: Roman Jakobi