Hearst Ranch and Cayucos Photograph Collection, MS 158
These photographs were probably taken by Clayton Leonard Morss (1891-1967), a longtime resident of San Luis Obispo and Monterey counties. Morss was born in Cayucos and was a member of the extended Leffingwell family, who owned the private wharf known as Leffingwell Landing north of Cambria. Morss lived in various places up and down the North Coast including Cayucos, San Simeon, and Gorda. He eventually moved inland to the county seat of San Luis Obispo by the 1930s. His occupation is listed in various city directories and telephone directories from the 1930s-1960s as a grader operator, WPA supervisor, and a landscape gardener.
Morss was married to Myrtle Rose Woodworth Morss (1899-1946). He died in San Luis Obispo Nov. 3, 1967.
- Arnold, Allyn, Lou Kluver and Al Musso. Cayucos by the sea: a pictorial history. Cayucos, Ca: Friends of the Cayucos Library, 2000.
- Hamilton, Geneva. Where the Highway Ends. Cambria, CA: Williams Printing Co., 1974.
- 1900, 1920, United States Federal Census, Ancestry.com
- San Luis Obispo County City and Telephone Directory. Los Angeles, CA.: General Directories, Local Chamber of Commerce, 1938.
- San Luis Obispo County City and Telephone Directory. Los Angeles, CA.: General Directories, Local Chamber of Commerce, 1939.
- Social Security Death Index, Ancestry.com
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, Ancestry.com