Link+ is the first place our patrons should turn when they want to borrow materials not available at Kennedy Library. Made up of a consortium of academic and public libraries, the Link+ service allows libraries to share their resources within the consortium. Use the "Link+" button in PolyCat when you search for materials.
LINK+ privileges are available to Cal Poly students, faculty (including emeriti), and staff.
Link+ generally circulates books. Materials such as journals, journal articles, and software, are not available. Audio/video materials are available as of July 1, 2009 during a six month pilot lending project.
How do I check to see if materials are available through Link+?
Check PolyCAT first for local holdings. If Kennedy Library does not own the material, then click "Search LINK+." You will receive a screen message if the material you request is not available.
How long does it take?
3 - 5 days.
Receiving Books and Materials
- We will notify you by email when your material has arrived.
- Pick up books and materials at the Circulation desk in the Library Lobby.
- If you are outside of the San Luis Obispo area, you may be able to pick up your materials from participating Pick Up Anywhere libraries.
LINK+ audio and video materials circulate either 7 or 21 days, depending on the policies of the lending libraries. Items circulating for 7 days will be non-renewable.
Returning Books and Materials
Return your materials at the following locations:
- ILS department, Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
- Circulation Desk
- Do not return ILS materials to the outside book drops
- We will provide a receipt on request
- Pick Up Anywhere borrowers may return their materials to any participating Pick Up Anywhere library.
- Check for participating Pick Up Anywhere libraries
- $1.00/day up to a maximum of $15 per item
- A $115.00 fee will be assessed for each lost LINK+ book
- We add overdue fines to your patron record upon return of late material.
- A hold will be placed on your record for lost ILS and Link+ materials.
Lost or Replacement Fees
- The final charge for lost materials and/or terms of replacement remains at the discretion of the owning institution.
- The ILS office at Kennedy Library will remain your contact in this case.
- You can renew Link+ books online through My PolyCAT.
- Renewal requests must be placed within 2 days prior to the due date.
- Patrons will be allowed 1 renewal for 14 days.
Checking the Status of Your Books
- Do you have a question about your request?
- You may always check the status of your Link+ request in My PolyCAT.
- Check the status of your own ILS requests with the "View/Modify Outstanding Requests" button.
- The summary view gives the current status of the item — detailed tracking information is available by clicking on the request's transaction number.
- To view the status of books you have requested
- You will receive an email notifying you of your request's availability.
- We use your calpoly address, so keep your information up to date in the University Portal.
- You may always check the status of your request in My PolyCAT.
- Requested materials are usually available in 3 - 5 working days.
- To view the status of books you have received and checked out
- Use MyPolyCat and the ILS Services option to check status of your ILS requests, logon to ILL Services.