Circulation Fees and Overdue Fines
|Patron Type||Circulation Fees||Overdues & replacement|
|Cal Poly Student: Undergrad||N/A||See below|
|Cal Poly Student: Graduate||N/A||See below|
|Cuesta/Hancock Faculty||See Community Borrowers page||See below|
|Cuesta Students||Free with current ID, or evidence of current registration for classes, plus a photo ID||See below|
|Community Users||See Community Borrowers page||See below|
|School Districts (between Santa Maria and San Miguel)||See Community Borrowers page||See below|
|Library Volunteers||N/A||See below|
|Alumni||Pay their fees to the Alumni Association and bring Alumni card to use library services||See below|
|Borrower's Plus||$50 for 12 ILL transactions||See below|
|Others (for temporary cards)||See Circulation Staff||See below|
|Library Materials||$.20 per day per item|
|Interlibrary Loan||$1.00 per day per item|
|Maximum fine for books||$15.00 per item|
|Maximum fine for Reserve Items||$50.00 per item|
|Bound Periodical (Journals) 4 Day Loan||$1.00 per day per item|
|Reserve Reading Room Hourly Loans||$1.00 per hour per item|
|Items Recalled||$1.00 per day per item with no maximum limit.|
- All books are due as stamped.
- Fines accumulate only on days when the library is open, and are due when incurred. Fines may be paid at the Main Circulation Desk by check. To pay cash or pay at the State Cashier (Administration Building, Room 131E), you must present to the State Cashier a bill issued by the Circulation Desk. To remove your Academic hold, return your paid receipt to the Library's Circulation desk.
- Patrons are billed for lost books.
- A notice is issued and library privileges are suspended until library charges are cleared. In addition, a registration hold and transcript hold is placed on the records of current and former Cal Poly students. The suspension and/or hold remain in effect until any and all library charges are cleared.
- Charges and fines are cumulative.
- They are not erased at the end of a quarter or an academic year. Once your account shows charges of $10.00 or more, you will be required to pay the entire amount before you may renew or check out any materials. All charges are due and payable upon occurrence. After six (6) months charges are final and sent to Student Accounts for collection/tax offset. You may View your record at any time to verify your charges and due dates of materials you have checked out.
- If you have been billed for a lost book or item which causes a registration Hold, or have been sent a fine notice stating you have a Hold on your records, you must pay any and all charges to release this Hold. Failure to pay these charges will suspend borrowing privileges and will delay your registration.
Under the California Education Code, it is a misdemeanor to tear, cut, deface, or willfully detain any Library materials.
- You, the patron, are responsible for all items checked out on your I.D. card whether or not you receive or read notices.
- If you lend your card, or check out an item on your card to another person (and the book is lost or late), you are liable for all charges.
- If you lose your I.D. card, you must immediately report the loss to the Library's Circulation Desk.
- Please View Your Record using My PolyCAT periodically to determine the status of your Library account.
- You are also responsible for the repair or replacement cost for any library items returned in damaged condition.
- Cal Poly students must change their address information on-line here through the Cal Poly University Portal.
Book replacement costs vary, depending upon the subject matter. A patron billed for a lost or damaged item has two choices to clear his/her record.
- 1. Pay the lost book fee as billed.
- 2. Obtain a "Request to Purchase Replacement Book" at the Circulation desk and, with help of library staff, determine an acceptable replacement for billed item and complete the form. Patron then provides library with replacement item, pays the $15 processing fee, and the hold is cleared.
All Circulation and Interlibrary Loan notifications with Cal Poly users will be handled via e-mail.
Make sure that your email information is current in the Cal Poly Portal.
You can also check your Library record at My PolyCAT from the Library web page to renew books, check due dates, any fines and lost book charges, recalls, and holds.