What Are Reference Materials?
Reference materials are useful for providing background information and quick facts. Many reference materials are now available online, including dictionaries, encyclopedias, citation guides, directories, handbooks, statistics, and much more.
Finding Reference Materials
The Library has provided an online research guide to help you find both online and print reference materials.
There is also a collection of print reference materials near the Research Help Desk on the first floor (111).
For help using these materials, or if you can't find what you need, stop by the Research Help Desk, phone us at 805-756-2649 or chat with us.
Other Online Reference Materials
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- The Gale Virtual Reference Library contains encyclopedias, dictionaries, and standard university reference works covering most subject areas including business, environment, science, etc., from Space Sciences to the Writer's Directory, from Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia to the Encyclopedia of Ethics. A title list of searchable sources is available.
- Virtual Reference Collection (MIT Libraries)
- Some resources listed are available only at MIT, but many are open to anyone, anywhere.
- Quick reference guide (NYU Libraries)