What is microform?
- Rectangle of plastic containing information in very small type that can be read when enlarged by a machine called a "microfiche reader."
- Reel of plastic film containing information in very small type that can be read when enlarged by a machine called a "microfilm reader."
How do I use microform?
Special readers and printers are available in the Maps and Microform Room (111C) to read and make printed or digital copies of pages from microfilm and microfiche.
Notable collections on microform
- Cal Poly Senior Projects (submitted before Fall 2009)
- These are shelved in blue cabinets in Room 111C, arranged by the 6-digit "call number" (for example 02-143, where "02" is the year the project was written — 2002). More recent Senior Projects are available online through Digital Commons @ Cal Poly. An online tutorial is available to help you locate senior projects in microfiche.
- Journals on Microform
- For some titles, the Library has retained older issues on microfilm or microfiche rather than binding issues.
Assistance in locating microforms and using readers and printers is available from the Library staff at the Research Help Desk (111). Online help, via chat or email, is also available.