Sustainability Research Guide
The Kennedy Library online catalog of books, journals, and other resources. Didn't find what you need in PolyCat? Check out our Finding Books page for more options.
Subject Guides to Books on Sustainability
- Architecture & Environmental Design
- Environmental education
Depending on your subject focus, you may need to consult a variety of article databases to cover the breadth of sustainability-focused publications available to you. Listed below are some of the top databases to try, but also consider consulting the research guide for your program and searching the databases listed there, as they may have sustainability resources more focused to your discipline.
- This is a comprehensive index to journals, conference proceedings, technical reports and other documents in the field of agriculture (1970-present). Abstracts are provided for some of the indexed items.
- CAB Direct
- This database of the world's agricultural and applied life sciences sources is the most comprehensive source of international agriculture literature. Includes a leisure, recreation and tourism component. Represents over 3.5 million articles, reports and proceedings, published from 1973 to the present.
- Engineering Village
- Engineering Village 2 offers access to Compendex, the most comprehensive bibliographic database of engineering literature, containing references to over 13 million citations from 5,000 engineering journals, conferences and reports.
- General Science Abstracts
- An excellent online index to start searching for topics in astronomy, biological sciences, chemistry, geology, medicine, physics, etc. Good for interdisciplinary searches.
- This comprehensive geoscience database contains over 2.1 million records in mineralogy and crystallography, general mineralogy, mineralogy of silicates, and mineralogy of non-silicates. This database is produced by the American Geological Institute.
- Social Sciences Citation Index
- Covers over 1,725 social sciences journals across 50 disciplines. Journals are international in scope.
- Provides online, full-text access to Springer's journal titles as well as journals from other publishers. Subjects include: life sciences, chemical sciences, environmental sciences, behavioral sciences, social sciences, geosciences, computer science, mathematics, medicine, physics & astronomy, engineering and economics.
- Zoological Record
- Zoological Record® is a comprehensive reference database covering all aspects of modern animal research. Includes more than 5,000 serials published in over 100 countries, books, reports, newsletters, conference papers and abstracts.
Maps and GIS Data
See our Maps Guide and our GIS Resources page for information on maps and GIS data available through the library. There are many maps and datasets available related to environmental and other issues that could be useful for a senior project related to sustainable practices.
The Learning Commons in the Kennedy Library has PC and Mac labs equipped with a wide variety of hardware and software needed for advanced environmental analysis projects. Software includes AutoCAD, ArcGIS, Minitab, SPSS, and packages from Adobe, Macromedia, and Microsoft. See the Learning Commons site for more information.