Recreation, Parks, and Tourism Administration
Finding Scholarly Journal Articles
- Indexes business magazines, journals and trade publications. It is a good database to search if you are looking for industry information (eg, the travel/tourism industry), business/consumer trends or the discussion of management issues. If you want to limit your search to more scholarly articles, check the "Scholarly journals, including peer-reviewed" limit box at the initial search screen.
- Academic Search Elite
- Indexes popular magazines and core journals in many fields, including some recreation, parks and tourism publications. To search for more scholarly articles, use the "peer-reviewed/refereed journals" limit function at the initial search screen.
- Expanded Academic ASAP
- Indexes popular magazines and core journals in many fields, including some publications in the fields of recreation, parks and tourism. To search for more scholarly articles, use the "peer-reviewed (refereed) articles" limit function at the initial search screen.
- CAB Direct
- Comprehensive, international agricultural database which provides abstracts of literature (journal articles, books, book chapters) covering a variety of topics, including a large leisure, recreation and tourism component. When you search the database, be sure to limit your search to English as the "language of text" (unless you read other languages!). No full text material is available from CAB Direct. If you find references to material you need, you will have to check further to see if the information is available in the library, online in another database, or needs to be ordered through Interlibrary Loan. (1973 - present).
- Find books owned by our library.
- Search for books owned by twelve additional CSU libraries as well as other academic libraries. Items can be requested online; they take about three days to arrive at our checkout desk and you are notified by email of their arrival.
Finding Articles from Newspapers, Magazines, and Trade Publications
- Academic Search Elite
- Indexes and provides the full text of news magazines such as Time and Newsweek as well as additional popular and trade publications.
- California Newspapers
- Provides the full text of current articles from over 20 California newspapers. Also provides the full text of older issues, in some cases (LA Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Sacramento Bee, San Jose Mercury News) going back to the mid-1980s.
- Lexis Nexis
- Provides the full text of current (and older) issues of major newspapers (including the New York Times) and news magazines. Because Lexis Nexis provides access to all sorts of publications (legal, medical, etc), click on the "Guided News Search" tab on the Lexis Nexis home page to search for newspaper and news magazine articles.
Finding Trade and Professional Organizations
- National Recreation and Park Association
- California Park and Recreation Society
- American Association for Leisure and Recreation
- PsychInfo provides abstracts (and selected full text) of articles in over 1300 psychology journals. This is a good database to search if you are looking for the psychological aspects of leisure/recreation, such as what motivates people to engage in leisure activities.
- Sociological Abstracts
- This indexes and abstracts articles in the fields of sociology. This may be a useful source if you are looking for sociological perspectives on leisure/recreation, such as the relationship between leisure/recreation activities and class, race, gender, etc.
- Education Abstracts
- This indexes articles in over 400 education publications. This database may be helpful when searching for information on recreation activities in the educational setting.
- This provides abstracts of articles in education and social science publications. ERIC may be useful if you are looking at leisure/recreation topics from educational, sociological and other perspectives.
- This is a major database in the field of agriculture. If your topic is related to agriculture, such farm tourism, or natural resource management, this may be a good resource to search.
- Sport Discus
- This indexes research literature in sport and related fields: sports medicine, sport and sport facility management, exercise psychology, training, coaching, physical education and fitness.