Food Science and Nutrition
- PolyCAT is the library's online catalog. It includes entries for books, titles of journals, magazines, and newspapers, senior projects, audiovisual materials, maps, and government documents. Using keyword type in your topic. If you do not get results, try a broader topic that would include what you are searching for. If Cal Poly does not own the book(s) you are looking for, click on the LINK+ button on the PolyCAT result screen.
- LINK+ is a consortium of academic and public libraries that allows you to check for a book we do not own and self-initiate an interlibrary loan request for a book in the Link+ system.
- MELVYL is the catalog for the University of California system. We only have access to the library catalogs of the various campuses. Any book titles you find on MELVYL need to checked in PolyCAT before initiating an Interlibrary Loan Request.
- A database of various formats (books, maps, internet, etc.) that can provide additional titles for your research.
- AGRICOLA is comprehensive database produced by the National Agricultural Library. The database indexes materials beginning in 1970. Some of the records include abstracts. The database includes formats besides journal articles. One can limit by date, language, and format.
- CAB Direct
- An international database of agriculture related topics. Database goes back to 1972. The records include abstracts. Other formats are included besides journal articles. One can limit by date, language, and format.
- MEDLINE is a comprehensive database produced by the National Library of Medicine. It includes a veterinary science component. The database goes back to 1965. Records include abstracts.
- Science Direct(online articles)
- A searchable database of online articles. Not all of the citations will include the full-text. Not all full-text links will provide the full-text.
- Expanded Academic Index
- Indexes over 1400 core scholarly journals in the humanities, social sciences, and general sciences as well as some popular publications, including the New York Times. About one-third of the indexed articles are available full-text online. Coverage from 1980 to the present.
- Food Science and Technology Abstracts
- An international database covering food sciences, food products, food processes, food technology, and human nutrition. Materials indexed include journal articles, conference proceedings, books, patents and standards. Entries include abstracts. Coverage since 1969.
- Find It
- "Find It" will allow you to go from a citation to obtaining the article as full-text, available in the Library or online through PolyCAT, or to make an Interlibrary Loan Request.
Locating Government Information
- Since 2000, Federal publications are available through PolyCAT. Prior to 2000, Federal publications were entered into PolyCAT on a selective basis. To locate government publications not found in PolyCAT, consult a Reference Librarian. Since 1990, State of California and Agricultural Experiment Station publications are available through PolyCAT. Prior to 1990, check the subject, author, and title shelflists located in the Reference Department, 1st floor, Library.
- GPO U.S. Government Publications
- Searchable database of publications by U. S. government agencies. 1976 –
- Gateway to U.S. government information. Includes an alphabetical list of agencies.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- GPO Access
- Gateway to U. S. government information provided by the Government Printing Office.
- The Catalog of Government Publications
- Indexes print and online publications by Federal agencies. 1994 –
- United States Government Manual
- Online 1995-.Includes information and web addresses for Federal agencies.
- Print: AE 2.108/2: Latest edition Documents Ready Reference, Reference Department, 1st floor. Older editions: U.S. Docs., 3rd floor.
- State of California Home Page
- Lower right corner Quick Links includes a link to State Agencies.
- California Department of Food and Agriculture
- A high percentage of government information is available online. Some of this information is also available in print. To search for government information on Google, add site:gov to your search or go to the advanced search screen and indicate .gov as the domain you wish to search. Google Uncle Sam searches for government information.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
- Print: Ref HA202 .A2. Latest edition only retained in Reference. Located at Reference Desk, Reference Department, 1st floor, Library. Older editions retained in U. S. Docs, 3rd floor (C3.134:year), Library.
- A good place to begin looking for statistical information. Tables include source information for further information.
- Gateway to statistics produced by U.S. government agencies.
- NASS (National Agricultural Statistical Service)
- Statistical arm of the United States Department of Agriculture
- Counting California
- Statistical site dealing with California.
- U. S. Census Department
- Home page for the U.S. Census Department. Numerous links for statistical information, e.g. American Fact Finder "source for population, housing, economic, and geographic data."
- Agricultural Statistics 1994 –
- Print: Ref HD1751 .A43. Latest edition only retained in Reference. Located at Reference Desk, Reference Department, 1st floor, Library. Older editions retained in U. S. Docs, 3rd floor (A 1.47: year), Library.
- Statistics on agricultural topics. Published annually.
- California Statistical Abstract
- Print: CALIF F380 S8. Latest edition Documents Ready Reference, Reference Department, 1st floor, Library. Older editions retained in CALIF Documents section, Reference Department, 1st floor, Library.
- County and City Data Book
- Latest edition 2000. Published every 5 years.
- Print: C 3.134/2:C 82/2. Latest edition Document Ready Reference, Reference Department, 1st floor, Library. Older editions retained in U.S. Docs, Reference Department, 1st floor, Library.
- Historical Statistics of the United States, colonial times to 1970
- Print: Ref HA202 .B87 1975. Located at Reference Desk, Reference Department, 1st floor, Library.
Additional Print and Online Resources
- American Dietetic Association
- Institute of Food Technologists
- American Society for Nutrition Sciences Directory of Graduate Programs
Directories of Nutrition Websites
- Nutrition.Gov - Nutrition and health information on Federal Government websites.
- Librarians' Index to the Internet
Food Laws and Regulations
- Almanac of the Canning, Freezing, Preserving Industries.
- Call number: Ref TX 599 A4. Updated annually.
- Compliance manual for food quality and safety.
- Call number: Ref KF 1900 Z9 C66 (2003).
- Patents (United States Patent and Trademark Office)
- Testing Methodology
- Call number: Ref S 587 A73 2000.
- Official Methods of Analysis Of AOAC (Association of Official Analytic Chemists) International. vol. 2 Food Composition, Additives, Natural Contaminants. 17th ed.
- Supplement: Ref S587 A73 Suppl.
- Approved Methods of the American Association of Cereal Chemists. 10th ed. - 2 vols.
- Call number: Ref TX 557 A54 2000.