Books, including eBooks, are a good place to start your research because they cover a broader subject area than most articles. They summarize and condense what has been published in hundreds of articles on your topic. Books can take several years to create and are not published on a regular basis.
- In-depth coverage of a topic, or a compilation of scholarly articles or essays
- Written by scholars or specialists
- Content ranges from general discussion to detailed analysis
- Includes bibliography or list of sources which can be helpful for starting research and finding more information
- You will not find coverage of the latest events in books
- Perspective or slant is entirely dependent on the author; may be sponsored by a professional association or political group
- Popular books are often not well-researched, due to the speed at which they may be rushed to market
General public, scholars, or professionals in disciplines
- This is Kennedy Library's own database that lists what is available here at Cal Poly. It lists all our books, periodical titles, maps, videotapes/DVDs, government documents, as well as over 50,000 senior projects and masters theses. Using keyword, type in your topic. If you do not get results, try a broader topic that would include what you are searching for. If Cal Poly does not own the book(s) you are looking for, click on the LINK+ button on the PolyCAT result screen.
- This database brings together the catalogs of over 30 libraries in California and Nevada. The main advantage of this database is the ability to place an order to have items in other libraries delivered to Cal Poly for your use.
- This database lists over 12 million items contained in the libraries of the University of California system. Any item you find in Melvyl that is not available at Cal Poly can be ordered through the Kennedy Library's Interlibrary Loan service.
- Database of bibliographic records for over 30+ million items held in libraries worldwide. Includes citations for books, dissertations, media, maps, recordings, manuscripts, etc.. Again, most things you find listed in the database will have to be ordered through our Interlibrary Loan service.
- Finding eBooks
- Lists ways you can find books in electronic format via Kennedy library.