The following sample citations show the format for the References list placed at the end of a paper. If a source you have used differs from the samples, consult the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th Edition. The Manual can also be consulted for intricate rules concerning in-text citation. Copies are available in Permanent Reserves and at the Research Help Desk in Kennedy Library, room 111. Call Number: BF76.7 .P83 2010 (Ref).
- Article in a journal (From APA 6th ed., p. 199)
Light, M. A., & Light, I. H. (2008). The geographic expansion of Mexican immigration in the United States and its implications for local law enforcement. Law Enforcement Executive Forum Journal, 8(1), 73-82.
- Article in a newspaper (Following APA 6th ed., p. 200)
Woods, C. (2011, October 24). The development of environmental consciousness in the United States. The Washington Psychic, pp. A2, A5.
- Basic format for a book (Following APA 6th ed., p. 203)
Zabar, A. (1989). Alphabet soup. New York, NY: Stewart, Tabori, & Chang, Inc.
- Book with an editor (Following APA 6th ed., p. 202)
Aspinwall, L. G. & Staudinger, U. M. (Eds.). (2002). A psychology of human strengths: Fundamental questions and future directions for a positive psychology. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Numbered edition other than the first (Following APA 6th ed., p. 205)
Arbold, R. (2003). The biology of lying: Observations and principles (4th ed.). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Article or chapter in an edited book or an anthology (Following APA 6th ed., p. 202)
O’Clair, K. M. (1995). Demonstrating cultural sensitivity in field research. In M. Miller & A. J. Kennedy (Eds.), Principles of applied research (pp. 15-68). New York, NY: Sage.
- Dictionary or other reference work (Following APA 6th ed., p. 204)
Gamble, L. T. (Ed.). (2001). Encyclopedia of teaching (Vols. 1-4). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Article in an online magazine (Following APA 6th ed., p. 200)
Blue, R. U. (2008, June). Sad vs. depressed: Psychologists facilitate awareness about mental health symptoms. Monitor on Psychology, 24(3). Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/monitor/
- Article in an online newspaper (Following APA 6th ed., p. 200)
Kline, D. (2005, October 15). A balanced diet in youth wards off Alzheimer’s Disease in later life. The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved from http://www.latimes.com
- Electronic version of print book (Following APA 6th ed., p. 203)
Shell, S. P. (1989). Fuel consumption in the United States. [DX Reader version]. Retrieved from http://www.ebooks.com/
Citing from a database
- Article from a database with DOI (Following APA 6th ed., p. 198)
Worthy, K. D., & Winkler, G. I. (2002). The keys of successful conflict resolution: Creativity, calm, and cooperation. Happy Helper Psychology, 14, 114-222. doi: 13.1038/2178= 6522.214.171.124
- Article from a database with no DOI (Following APA 6th ed., p. 198)
Parks, A. R., & Lucas, A. E. (2007). Early attachment pattern predicts later relational investment. Journal of Marriage and Family Psychology, 4(4), 12- 32. Retrieved from http://www.jmft.net/
Cal Poly Senior Projects prior to Fall 2009 are available on microfiche, and should be cited as in the first example below. Senior Projects from Fall 2009 and later are digitally hosted on the institutional repository (DigitalCommons@CalPoly) and should follow the second example.
- Before Fall 2009 (Following APA 6th ed., p. 207)
Gold, T. (1999). Library usage and student GPA: The missing link to academic success. (Unpublished senior project). California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo.
- Fall 2009 to the present (Following APA 6th ed., p. 208)
Lossing, C. B. (2010). Childhood obesity: Prevention & intervention. (Senior project, California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo). Retrieved from http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/psycdsp/10/