Find the steps to depositing your electronic senior project below.
Please note: Each department may have slight variations in the process described below. Check with your department for their specific workflow.
Be fully informed: Download and review senior project forms, packets and handouts to be fully informed on the process.
Download and review senior project forms, packets and handouts to be fully informed on the process.
- Senior Project Information Packet [PDF]
- This packet provides detailed upload instructions and procedural information to assist in the creation and upload of the senior project to the DigitalCommons@CalPoly.
- Senior Project Requirement Form [PDF]
- This form should be filled out and signed by the student and advisor. Additional signatures may be required by your department.
- Title Page Template [DOC]
- A title page template is available for easy formatting of the first page of the senior project.
- 7 Steps to Submitting Your Project [PDF]
- Summary of submission steps and frequently asked questions
Step 1: Get a cashier’s receipt
Pay the $12 senior project fee at the Cashier’s window in the Administration Building (cash or check only) or online through the Cal Poly portal by e-check or credit card (credit cards accepted: MasterCard, American Express, Discover, or Diner’s Club). It is not possible to pay over the phone.
To pay the $12 senior project fee online through the Cal Poly portal:
- Go to the Cal Poly Portal and enter your login and password
- Click on Money Matters tab
- Click on Make a Payment Now (yellow box in the center section)
- Click on the link CLICK HERE TO MAKE AN ONLINE PAYMENT
- Enter your pin and password
- Click on Senior Projects
- Follow instructions to make payment
Get 2 copies of the receipt. You will attach the original receipt to the senior project requirement form and keep a copy of the receipt for your records.
Step 2: Download and fill out the senior project requirement form
Fill out Sections I, II and III of the senior project requirement form. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to access and complete the form. * MacOS X users: To ensure that the PDF you download is interactive, open the file in Adobe Acrobat Reader. The file will open in Preview, but will not be interactive.
When filling out the form, please note:
- Enter the author(s) name exactly as it appears on the title page.
- If more than one author, list them on the form in the same order as they appear on the title page.
- Use the same title as on the title page.
- Enter the full name of the department, not the abbreviation.
- Sign the form in the appropriate area
- Please print one copy of the competed form for the Kennedy Library. Your department may also require additional copies of the form — consult with your advisor.
Step 3: Get your advisor’s signature on the senior project requirement form
Provide the form and the final copy of your senior project to your advisor for grading. Your advisor should fill out and sign Section IV of the form. Check with your department, as you may also be required to collect additional departmental signatures on the form in Section V.
Be aware that your project is subject to internal academic departmental guidelines for required form, length and content. Please consult with your advisor.
Step 4: Deliver the completed senior project requirement form and cashier’s receipt to the department office
At this point, sections I, II, III and IV of the senior project requirement form should be completed, including the student signature and advisor signature. Some departments may require section V to be completed. The cashier’s receipt should be attached to the form. Deliver the form to a staff member in your department office.
Step 5: Upload your advisor-approved senior project to the DigitalCommons@CalPoly
Michele Wyngard, Digital Repository Coordinator (Rm 103 Kennedy Library), can assist students in uploading their senior project to the DigitalCommons@CalPoly. She can be contacted at ude.yloplacnull@tcejorproines-bil.
The e-submitted senior project will temporarily reside in a restricted area and will not be viewable by the public until the library has received a completed (advisor-signed) Senior Project Requirement Form. The library will make the e-submitted senior project publicly available only after the library receives the completed (advisor-signed) senior project requirement form.
Step 6: The department office will forward your senior project requirement form and cashier’s receipt to the library
The department will send the completed requirement form and cashier’s receipt to the Kennedy Library when grading is complete. The library will review the form for completeness, and will confirm the DigitalCommons@CalPoly data entry and digital access settings. If the department or student prefers hand delivery, the receipt and Senior Project Requirement Form may be brought to Karen Beaton in the Collection Development Department, Room 104 of the Kennedy Library.
Step 7: Senior project is made public on the DigitalCommons@CalPoly site
The Library will make the senior project publicly accessible on the web. The student should receive an email notification when their paper is available. Robert E. Kennedy Library will create a bibliographic record in the library catalog. Paper versions will no longer be collected by Kennedy Library. Microfiche copies will no longer be provided to departments.
Optional step: Receive notifications of new content
Departments, faculty advisors or students can sign up to receive a customized RSS feed or email notification when new content fitting your desired criteria is available. Instructions are available in the Senior Project Information Packet.
Call Michele Wyngard at (805) 756-2315 or by e-mail.
Use PolyCat to find all senior projects
All Senior Projects submitted to Kennedy Library can be found through PolyCat, our online catalog.
Before Fall 2009 = microfiche
Senior Projects submitted before Fall 2009 were archived on Microfiche and physically stored in Kennedy Library Room 111. Senior Projects on microfiche are arranged by the 6-digit “call number” (for example 02-143, where “02″ is the year the project was written — 2002). Microfiche readers are available in this room as well.