Research help desk
Drop by our research help desk or call for help from a librarian or LibRAT during staffed hours.
- Location: Library, first floor, room 111
- Phone: (805) 756-2649
|Fall Quarter||Open hours|
|Monday – Thursday||9am – 8pm|
|Friday||9am – 5pm|
|Saturday||noon – 5pm|
|Sunday||noon – 9pm|
|November 10||noon – 5pm|
|November 25||9am – 2pm|
|Sept 2||11 am – 2pm|
|Sept 3-4||11 am – 5pm|
|Sept 5||11am – 2pm|
|Sept 9,10, 11||10am – 4pm|
|Sept 12||10am – 2pm|
|Sept 15-19||10am – 4pm|
Submit your research question in the form below.Suggestions for submitting your question
- Be clear and precise
- Make your question(s) clear and concise.
- Share appropriate keywords and phrases for your subject
- Include sources you’ve already consulted
If the question is not clear, Electronic Reference will respond asking for more detailed and specific information.
- Tell us what you are looking for
- A specific piece of information: (a statistic, a fact, etc.)?
- A relevant online or print resource to search through for a project or a paper?
- Research consultation and assistance?
- Response time
- We typically respond within 24 hours, Monday through Friday
- Answers to specific questions
- Our service can help you find the answers to specific reference questions. If extensive time is required to answer the question, we will contact you to clarify the question or refer you to online and/or print sources that can be used to answer your question.
- Referral to relevant online and/or print sources
- We can refer you to relevant electronic and/or print sources such as books, articles, and other materials required for term papers, senior projects, or master theses, etc.
- Referral to subject specialists
- If the question and project cannot be adequately handled by the the research help team, you will be referred to a subject specialist. Subject specialists can be contacted by e-mail, phone, or in-person at the research help desk on the 1st floor of the library.
Email a librarian
E-mail a specific librarian Monday through Friday.
Chat with us
Chat with us using the chat box on top.
Note: when you are finished chatting, browse away from this page or close your browser; otherwise, your chat transcript will remain visible to the next person to use this computer.
- College librarians (please allow 1–3 days to respond)
- For in-depth one-on-one help with research, contact your college librarian for an appointment.
Frequently asked questions
Check out our frequently asked questions page for a list of our most common questions.