Learn by Doing Scholar Awards 2015

Written by on May 20, 2015

Cal Poly Faculty Honored with Learn by Doing Scholar Award

The inaugural Learn by Doing Scholar Award recipients were named at the More than a Motto Conference on May 15, 2015. This new faculty award was established in the 2014-2015 academic year to acknowledge and inspire formal scholarship and research into Cal Poly’s signature pedagogy.

LBD_TaylorTrim

Dr. J. Kevin Taylor receives the Learn by Doing Scholar Award from President Armstrong.

Dr. J. Kevin Taylor, Chair, Department of Kinesiology, was recognized in the category of published research for “Learning Design through the Lens of Service: A Qualitative Study,” published in the Journal for Service Learning in Engineering (v. 9 n. 1, Spring 2014). The committee also acknowledged the team of co-authors: Dr. David Hey, Dr. Brian Self, Dr. Lynne Slivovsky, and Dr. James Widmann. The award includes $2,000.

“I am deeply honored by this award and would like to thank the committee for their work in reviewing applications,” Dr. Taylor said. “This award also recognizes my students and faculty colleagues, without whom my work would not have been possible. For me Learn by Doing often involves Learn by Teaching because I learn so much from my students.”

Dr. Steffen Peuker receives the Learn by Doing Scholar Award from President Armstrong.

Dr. Steffen Peuker, the James L. Bartlett, Jr. Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engineering, was recognized in the category of planned and in-progress research for a proposal highlighting three pedagogical innovations: team based learning, service learning, and a challenge to students to design their process for becoming a “world class engineering student.” The committee also acknowledged the collaboration of Dr. Jennifer Mott. The award includes $1,000.

“There are so many colleagues who exemplify outstanding Learn By Doing here at Cal Poly,” said Dr. Peuker. “I am truly honored to be chosen together with my collaborator Dr. Mott. Learn by Doing is more than a motto to me. In my opinion, it is the best approach for student learning and success.”

Faculty were selected by a committee of peers from every college.

“The inaugural award committee was impressed to see how Learn by Doing is interpreted in every discipline across Cal Poly,” said Jeanine Scaramozzino, member of the selection committee and College of Science & Mathematics, School of Education, and Data & GIS Services Librarian. “Faculty are doing incredible work.”

The award was established and funded by members of Information Services’ external advisory board and administered by the Robert E. Kennedy Library.

Read the press release at Cal Poly News. For more information: lib.calpoly.edu/faculty/learn-by-doing/

See additional photos from the reception at the University Art Gallery.

Featured photo (l-r): College of Science and Math Dean Phil Bailey, Dr. J. Kevin Taylor and President Jeffrey Armstrong

Read more on learn by doing scholar award.