Kennedy Library collaborating with Graphic Communication on new Wadewitz Collection
Kennedy Library has been working with the Graphic Communication department in the College of Liberal Arts on a recent gift to Cal Poly, the E.H. Wadewitz Collection, donated by the Printing Industries of America.
The E.H. Wadewitz Collection represents perhaps the largest intact collection of technical information and literature for the field of graphic communications and printing processes in North America. The rare and significant collections have been donated to the Special Collections & Archives department of Kennedy Library.
“The rare books and trade journals in this gift trace important advances in printing technology and contain excellent examples of color lithography,” said Jessica Holada, Director, Special Collections and Archives. “These materials complement our strong graphics holdings and enrich teaching and research resources.”
An example of a special collection includes the Frank Preucil Collection of just over 1,300 books. Preucil is considered the father of modern densitometry (the measurement of optical density in light-sensitive materials, such as photographic paper or film), and was a pioneer in the development of color printing processes.
The collection also includes rare books and notebooks, notably an 1817 edition of The Printers Manual, believed to be the first printing manual published in the United States; Photographic Chemistry by Hardwich published in 1864; and Photographic Mosaics by Lea and Wilson published in 1866.
Kennedy Library staff will begin to evaluate and process these collections this summer.
For more information, read the E.H. Wadewitz Memorial Library Newsletter.
Header image: The June 1902 cover for The Inland Printer, an important industry trade journal published for over six decades.