A woman in a red bandand pretends to bite a cardboard cut out of green eggs and ham.

Written by Victoria Billings on March 8, 2013

Journey into Libraryland: green eggs and cameras

Victoria Billings is the communications and public programs intern at Kennedy Library. ‘Journey into library land’ is a series about what she’s learned creating media for Cal Poly’s university library.

Forgive me if I sound a little too ecstatic in this blog post. I’m coming off a Dr. Seuss cake high, and am just really, really excited about these last two weeks at Kennedy Library!

But before I get to the Dr. Seuss stuff, let’s talk about Science Café. Our last Science Café, Start Me Up!, was a blast. We featured entrepreneurship professor Jonathan York, entrepreneur Eric Meyer, and three Cal Poly graduates who are currently working with the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (CIE) to kick start their own innovative business ideas.

We put together one video, as is usual, with interviews from Meyer and York and b-roll from the event, but we also wanted a video featuring Mark Paddon, Max Mero and Jessie Becker, our alum experts. Patrick and I set up a roundtable-discussion type video, featuring all three at once. This is a completely new format for us and I’m really excited to turn out the finished project!

Then last week, in addition to editing together footage from Science Café, Kennedy Library also celebrated Read Across America and Dr. Seuss’ birthday, with story time on Friday. I got to attend, take photos, and generally gush about how adorable the kids were.

And then we had cake, which is why my head is spinning a little bit.

So I’d say it’s been a pretty productive two weeks. The quarter is drawing to a close, but events here at Kennedy Library are not slowing down. In fact, we’ve already started planning a couple events for spring quarter. Which, of course, I will tell you all about when we get there.

Read more about our Read Across America story time in the top 5 quotes from the event.

Check out Read Across America’s site too!