Journey into Library Land: The Can-Do Attitude

A woman in a red bandana and blue shirt poses arm raised flexing her bicep and rolling up her sleeve like the iconic Rosie the Riveter poster. A blue speech bubble above her says "We Can Do It!"

Victoria Billings is the communications and public programs intern at Kennedy Library. ‘Journey into library land’ is a series about what she’s learned creating media for Cal Poly’s university library.

As my boss, Karen, wisely said this week, it’s best to wrap up big projects quickly and efficiently, instead of letting them trail off…

The lesson is especially important for my work at Kennedy Library because sometimes it feels like I’m working on seven things at once. It’s easy for things to get forgotten, or put off indefinitely. Frankly, that’s how I feel about our upcoming video project (you remember, the one I hinted about four weeks ago?). Since then, I’ve had barely any time to film and have spent most of my time prepping for Science Cafes and then updating the blog.

Karen’s right. I’ve got to wrap up this project before I spread all my energy elsewhere, and so I spent last Friday arranging the last couple of interviews. I also bought a planner, so maybe it will get easier to organize my commitments now!

At the same time, I’m still happy with the work that’s been distracting me over the last couple weeks.

Our first Science Café of Winter Quarter, Pyroprints! Fingerprinting Bacteria, was a blast. We learned all about creating DNA records of E. coli and how that can help scientists understand who is polluting bodies of water. I interviewed our presenters, Chris Kitts and Maria Zuleta Alvarado, before the event for the video, took photos and wrote up a nifty blog post on the event.

And this week (yes, that soon!) we’ve got our second Science Café, called Start Me Up! that was all about entrepreneurship. Patrick, the library’s video guru, and I have been busy working on new audio recording techniques for a roundtable discussion video between several young, entrepreneurial Cal Poly grads, and I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Finally, on a personal note, I’ve been growing out my bangs and pinning them behind a bandana, which university librarian Anna Gold says makes me look like Rosie the Riveter. I could not ask for a better compliment, so of course I had Patrick take my picture. That picture is now my encouragement to wrap up this secret video project, too.

And that’s been the last two weeks at Kennedy Library. Some days are wild successes, and some are reminders that there is still plenty of work to do. But I keep chugging along, reminding myself that we can, indeed, do it.

Check out our Pyroprints! Science Cafe blog post and video here.

Visit the Kennedy Library website for more on Start Me Up!