1940 – 1948: A Professor at Cal Poly
Arrived in 1940
Kennedy arrived at Cal Poly in 1940, when the "California Polytechnic School" had a student body of about 700 men. He was hired as the head of the Journalism Department and public relations.
Along with many other responsibilities, he was
- advisor to student publications, including the El Mustang;
- professor of English composition and speech, journalism and photography;
- in charge of college publicity;
- and editor of the college catalog and official publications.
World War II
During World War II, when Cal Poly became Naval Flight Preparatory School and Naval Academic Refresher Unit (1943-46), Kennedy taught communications.
All photos courtesy of University Archives, Cal Poly.
Next: Moving Up
1949 to 1967: Director, dean, assistant to the president, vice-president and contributing to a new Cal Poly campus in Pomona.
» Read more