Research, Scholarship, and Publishing Specialist
The Research, Scholarship, and Publishing Specialist is part of the Robert E. Kennedy Library’s Research and Scholarly Services unit that provides client service, technical expertise, training, and support for tools and practices that are used by faculty and researchers engaged in research, scholarship, and publishing. Under the general supervision of the Research and Scholarly Services Coordinator, this position provides support to enhance the use and access of technology and information, with particular focus on the institutional repository, digital publishing, and research impact support services. The incumbent oversees a variety of services and projects ranging from advising and assisting faculty and students in dissemination of their scholarly work, to the development of innovative publishing initiatives.
Key responsibilities include: serves as the primary point of contact for the library’s institutional repository and research and scholarly publishing services; supports research and impact support services; initiates, develops, revises, implements, and promotes a comprehensive training program in cooperation with the Research and Scholarly Services Coordinator; ensures a best practice approach to preservation of Cal Poly’s research and scholarship; has primary oversight for the technical maintenance of a database with approximately 25,000 current entries in the institutional repository system. The incumbent assists the Research and Scholarly Services Coordinator in assessing current research, scholarship, and publishing policies, processes and workflows, and implementing efficiencies through best practices, innovation, and technology.
NOTE: To view the full position description including all the Duties and Responsibilities click here
- Knowledge of or demonstrated ability to quickly learn current and emerging research, digital scholarship, data curation, data management, and metadata principles, practices, tools and technologies.
- Knowledge of or demonstrated ability to quickly learn current and emerging practices in scholarly publishing, copyright and/or intellectual property.
- Demonstrated expertise in creating and maintaining metadata schema.
- Comprehensive knowledge of programs, resources, systems and trends pertaining to research and scholarly services including expertise in searching strategies.
- Knowledge of basic copyright, fair use, and accessibility regulations and the ability to source, apply, explain, and escalate issues to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of or demonstrated ability to quickly learn about the library collection itself, its organization, and classification schemes.
- Ability to independently and efficiently perform detailed work with a high degree of accuracy in a high-volume, deadline-driven environment.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to set own priorities and coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Comprehensive knowledge of or demonstrated ability to quickly learn all aspects of lead work direction and campus human resource and payroll policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to research, develop and evaluate policies and programs, including collection, evaluation and interpretation of data and information from a wide variety of sources to develop sound conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to participate in long range planning through the collection, organization, analysis, and interpretation of data and information.
- Ability to create and deliver print and online training content.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive, and inclusive work atmosphere in and outside the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population.
- Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a high level of diplomacy and professionalism.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate information effectively with colleagues with different areas and levels of technical expertise, both individuals and groups.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Excellent computer skills and demonstrated ability to use a variety of standard computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, calendaring, email, and Internet software and programs to perform technical work or assist patrons.
- Graduate course work or degree.
- Prior experience conducting academic, corporate, and/or government research.
- Prior experience working in an academic library.
- Experience with institutional repositories or information management systems.
- Experience with research data management.
- Familiarity with implementation and evaluation of hardware or software systems.
- Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
How to apply
To apply, visit WWW.CALPOLYJOBS.ORG to complete the required online staff application and apply to requisition #104915. Applicants will have the option of attaching a Cover Letter, Resume and three Letters of Recommendation via the online employment system. Applicants needing computer/internet access may contact Cal Poly Human Resources at: (805) 756-2236, for information on available resources.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly’s values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly’s commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer/minorities/females/vet/disability
About Kennedy Library
Integrating traditional library resources and services with digital tools, the Robert E. Kennedy Library continuously adapts its services, programs, and spaces to meet the evolving academic programs, research interests, and needs of the university community. Providing access to information resources, classrooms, computer labs, an expansive 24-hour space, and an array of group and individual study spaces, Kennedy Library is a magnet for students and faculty alike. Annual visitors exceed 1.4 million. Kennedy Library’s innovative peer-to-peer learning and reference program simultaneously leverages the benefits of student-to-student learning and Cal Poly’s signature pedagogical ethos of Learn by Doing. There is an active Student Library Advisory Council and in 2014 the Kennedy Library received the prestigious ACRL Excellence in Academic Libraries award. The library partners with campus organizations to promote faculty development and student success, including several that are located in the library: the Center for Teaching, Learning and Technology; the Academic Skills Center; and the Honors Program. In addition, the University Writing and Rhetoric Center will soon find a new home in the library. In testimony to the perceived value of the Robert E. Kennedy Library across the entire campus, various stakeholders and the library are in the process of strategizing, planning and launching a fully funded renovation, which will increase the library’s ability to provide services and spaces to further support student and faculty success.
About Cal Poly
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked comprehensive public university located in San Luis Obispo, California. With more than 18,000 undergraduates and approximately 1000 graduate students, Cal Poly fosters teaching, scholarship, and service in a learn-by-doing environment where students and faculty are partners in discovery. As a polytechnic university, Cal Poly promotes the application of theory to practice. As a comprehensive institution, Cal Poly provides a balanced education in the arts, sciences, and technology, while encouraging cross-disciplinary and co-curricular experiences. As an academic community, Cal Poly values free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
For more information, see: https://afd.calpoly.edu/hr/job-opportunities/prospective
Cal Poly’s location in San Luis Obispo makes it one of the best places to visit. It’s a quintessential coastal California town with some 43,000 residents. Located halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles and just minutes from beaches, state parks, landmarks and premium wine regions, it’s also a popular vacation spot. Sunset Magazine has called it the most Californian place in all of California.
The city of San Luis Obispo offers a historic, restored downtown full of restaurants, theatres, art galleries and shops centered around San Luis Obispo Creek, Mission San Luis Obispo and Mission Plaza. San Luis Obispo’s Thursday night Farmer’s Market on Higuera Street has become a model for cities around the state. It’s a mix of fresh produce and flowers, baked goods, restaurant fare and free music all within strolling distance.
San Luis Obispo is just minutes from some of California’s best beaches and original beach cities: Avila Beach (10 miles), Pismo Beach (12 miles), Morro Bay (17 miles), Montaña de Oro State Park (18 miles), Cayucos (18 miles), the Pismo Dunes (28 miles) and world-famous Hearst Castle ( 45 miles).