Part-time Librarian Pool - Library Services
The Academic Services Department in the Robert E. Kennedy Library at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, is seeking a pool of part-time librarians.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly’s values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility. Cal Poly’s commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
- MLS from an ALA accredited program or equivalent institution by the time of appointment, or comparable library experience with other related advanced subject degree.
- Experience providing reference, instruction, or outreach services to a diverse population.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collegially in a team setting.
- Demonstrated competency working with computer applications and the ability to learn new software applications.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and excellent oral and written communication skills to communicate to a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to interact sensitively and effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Three or more years of relevant experience.
- Availability to work weeknights and/or weekends.
- Recent experience creating print and web-based instructional materials.
- Experience in or potential for developing and teaching library-related instruction sessions.
- Experience in managing student or other employees.
- Experience with special and/or archival collections.
- Experience in promoting library-related programs.
- Demonstrated professional growth and scholarly achievement.
How to apply
To apply, visit: http://jobs.calpoly.edu/sl/en-us/job/493784/parttime-librarian-pool-library-services to complete the required online staff application.
Librarians wishing to be included in the pool are invited to submit the following:
- cover letter
- curriculum vitae
- names, and email addresses of three professional references
- brief statement about your commitment to diversity and inclusivity
About Kennedy Library
Kennedy Library is responsible for planning, implementing, and managing campus-wide information resources and related services. Integrating traditional library resources and services with digital tools, the Robert E. Kennedy Library continuously adapts its services, programs, and spaces to meet the evolving academic programs, research interests, and needs of the university community. Providing access to information resources, classrooms, computer labs, an expansive 24-hour space, and an array of group and individual study spaces, Kennedy Library is a magnet for students and faculty alike. Annual visitors exceed 1.5 million.
About Cal Poly
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked comprehensive public university located in San Luis Obispo, California. With more than 18,000 undergraduates and approximately 1000 graduate students, Cal Poly fosters teaching, scholarship, and service in a learn-by-doing environment where students and faculty are partners in discovery. As a polytechnic university, Cal Poly promotes the application of theory to practice. As a comprehensive institution, Cal Poly provides a balanced education in the arts, sciences, and technology, while encouraging cross-disciplinary and co-curricular experiences. As an academic community, Cal Poly values free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
For more information, see: https://afd.calpoly.edu/hr/job-opportunities/prospective
Cal Poly’s location in San Luis Obispo makes it one of the best places to visit. It’s a quintessential coastal California town with some 43,000 residents. Located halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles and just minutes from beaches, state parks, landmarks and premium wine regions, it’s also a popular vacation spot. Sunset Magazine has called it the most Californian place in all of California.
The city of San Luis Obispo offers a historic, restored downtown full of restaurants, theatres, art galleries and shops centered around San Luis Obispo Creek, Mission San Luis Obispo and Mission Plaza. San Luis Obispo’s Thursday night Farmer’s Market on Higuera Street has become a model for cities around the state. It’s a mix of fresh produce and flowers, baked goods, restaurant fare and free music all within strolling distance.
San Luis Obispo is just minutes from some of California’s best beaches and original beach cities: Avila Beach (10 miles), Pismo Beach (12 miles), Morro Bay (17 miles), Montaña de Oro State Park (18 miles), Cayucos (18 miles), the Pismo Dunes (28 miles) and world-famous Hearst Castle ( 45 miles).