Library Facilities Manager (Administrator I)
The Robert E. Kennedy Library is beginning the design and schematic phase of a $55m renovation and is seeking an experienced and committed Facilities Manager with excellent project management skills to support the library’s extensive facility operational needs.
Kennedy Library is responsible for planning, implementing, and managing campus-wide information resources and related services with an annual budget of $7+ million and approximately 50 staff. The library has five departments: Academic Services; Access, Operations, and Administrative Services; Information Resources and Resource Sharing; Library Information Technology; and Special Collections and Archives.
As a member of the Library Management Team and reporting directly to the Director of Access, Operations, and Administrative Services, the Library Facilities Manager plays a strategic role in leadership, planning, and management of facility space planning and facility maintenance that supports the teaching, learning, and research activities of Cal Poly. The Library Facilities Manager is responsible for the planning, implementation of major and minor library facilities projects, including all aspects of project management during conceptual, development, planning, design, construction, closeout, and warranty. This position is also responsible for day-to-day facilities operations, managing library facilities and project budgets; developing and implementing facility maintenance schedules; recommending and implementing new facilities policies; and developing successful relationships with the campuses Facilities Management and Development Department, vendors, and with building partner groups.
Duties and Responsibilities
Facilities Project Management
- Provide leadership and management to achieve library facility major and minor project goals. Establish and monitor priorities and progress toward the major and minor project goals.
- Develop and implement strategic facilities project plans for major projects. Provide strategic planning project management around all aspects of the facility including, but are not limited to: staff and partner offices, collections, technology, and furniture relocation and storage.
- Direct facilities management of temporary service and work locations during construction phases of major and minor projects. Prepare floor plans; create design renderings; and formulate technology and space plans to be practical, aesthetic and conducive to its intended purpose and ensuring compliance with building codes, regulations, ordinances, and laws.
- Coordinate with Facilities Management and Development in the project management of a wide range of projects and develop a comprehensive Deferred Maintenance Program for the library building facilities.
- Assure that quality standards are implemented and safe work conditions are conducive to efficient operations and meet OSHA standards.
- Serve as the primary liaison on projects between Facilities Management and Development, vendors, professional consultants, contractors, library and campus administration, faculty, staff, and students.
Facilities Operations and Maintenance
- Work closely with the Library Management Team and Facilities Management and Development to schedule and coordinate maintenance projects within the library and for future temporary locations.
- Provide scheduling and coordination for minor construction projects, vendor and contractor services, and preventative maintenance work within the library.
- Manage all aspects of the project management process for preventive maintenance or similar contract in-house jobs for the library, which would include, but are not limited to: prepare cost estimates for labor and materials; prepare specifications and total cost estimates; coordinate the development of work orders; make material requests and verify materials as they are delivered; ascertain that all materials are on hand or will be available when needed on a particular job; coordinate and schedule appropriate staff or vendors to perform the work; and arrange the appropriate access to job facilities for staff or vendors.
- Maintain and oversee an effective library facilities preventative maintenance schedule including developing projections, creating recommended allocation proposals, and monitoring and reconciling expenses against budget allocations.
- Administer a facility assessment program for tracking, coordinating and maintaining routine maintenance work requests, preventive maintenance, and recurring facility inspections.
- Develop guidelines to ensure code compliance with all regulatory agencies, including the American with Disabilities Act, State Fire Code, and Uniform Building Codes. Monitor and ensure continued compliance with applicable ordinances, policies, and building codes regarding physical facilities and service operations.
- Work with vendors and campus procurement to order and replace office furniture and design office configurations.
- Provide managerial assistance with after-hours facilities issues and on-call support staff.
- Serve as the point of contact on facilities matters for building partner groups.
Required Education, Experience, and Credentials
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, construction, architecture, business administration, or related field AND four years of progressively responsible experience in the area of project management and/or facilities/physical plant operations management.
Licenses, Certificates, Credentials:
- Possession of a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Ability to understand and implement methods, procedures and practices typically found in facilities planning, project management, fiscal planning and control, land use planning and design, contract management, as well as construction-related California building and safety codes and ADA requirements.
- Demonstrated experience in effective leadership and team management with a proven ability to organize and manage teams, including internal design and operations staff, external contractors and technical consultants, specializing in building construction or renovation.
- General knowledge of building materials, costing procedures and the sequential methods of modern construction practices.
- General knowledge of multiple trades applications in the maintenance, development and care of a large physical plant.
- Working knowledge of development and interpretation of construction documents, and Uniform Building codes including construction, fire, accessibility, electrical, and plumbing.
- Ability to interact and communicate with a variety of constituents within construction management, architecture, and civil/structural/mechanical engineering fields.
- Knowledge of a wide range of facility management operations and demonstrated ability to respond to various inquiries related to assuring continuous progress to bring jobs to completion.
- Ability to maintain high quality/standards of work, ethics, commitment, and professional responsibility.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, online systems, internet, and online calendar and email. Ability to use AutoCAD or equivalent.
- Knowledge of business and fiscal analysis, processes, and techniques related to project management in building, design and construction including an ability to analyze data and make accurate projections and cost estimates.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and communications within a diverse population, strong listening and interpretive skills, and the ability to deal positively with unexpected developments and diverse perspectives in and outside the University.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner appropriate for this position. Ability to produce presentations and provide oral presentations to groups.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation. Ability to read and write at a level appropriate for the duties of the position and follow verbal and written instructions. Ability to use office reporting tools necessary to compile, write and present reports.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
- Experience with academic library facility projects.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, Project, PeopleSoft, Sketchup and AutoCAD.
How to apply
To apply, visit www.calpolyjobs.org to complete the required online Cal Poly Management Employment Application and apply to Requisition #104933. In addition, each applicant is encouraged to provide (preferably as attachments to the online application) the following supplemental documents: (1) letter providing some detail of the applicant’s qualifications and interest in the position; (2) current resume/CV; (3) the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly’s values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly’s commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
About Kennedy Library
Integrating traditional library resources and services with digital tools, the Robert E. Kennedy Library continuously adapts its services, programs, and spaces to meet the evolving academic programs, research interests, and needs of the university community. Providing access to information resources, classrooms, computer labs, an expansive 24-hour space, and an array of group and individual study spaces, Kennedy Library is a magnet for students and faculty alike. Annual visitors exceed 1.5 million. Kennedy Library’s innovative peer-to-peer learning and reference program simultaneously leverages the benefits of student-to-student learning and Cal Poly’s signature pedagogical ethos of Learn by Doing. In 2014 the Kennedy Library received the prestigious ACRL Excellence in Academic Libraries award. The library partners with campus organizations to promote faculty development and student success, including several that are located in the library: the Center for Teaching, Learning & Technology; the University Writing & Rhetoric Center; the Academic Skills Center; and the Honors Program. In testimony to the perceived value of the Kennedy Library across the entire campus, various stakeholders and the library are in the process of strategizing, planning and launching a $55M full building renovation, which will increase the library’s ability to provide services and spaces to further support student and faculty success.
Administrative Services is a six-person team, that is part of the larger library services division. The office environment is highly collaborative, fast-paced, and customer service focused. Administrative Services is the glue of the library – their goal is to make the running of the library easier for library faculty and staff by maintaining the library’s operations and infrastructure including budget analysis, facilities maintenance, administrative support, human resources, scheduling, and recruitment to name just a few.
About Cal Poly
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked comprehensive public university located in San Luis Obispo, California. With more than 18,000 undergraduates and approximately 1000 graduate students, Cal Poly fosters teaching, scholarship, and service in a learn-by-doing environment where students and faculty are partners in discovery. As a polytechnic university, Cal Poly promotes the application of theory to practice. As a comprehensive institution, Cal Poly provides a balanced education in the arts, sciences, and technology, while encouraging cross-disciplinary and co-curricular experiences. As an academic community, Cal Poly values free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
For more information, see: https://afd.calpoly.edu/hr/job-opportunities/prospective
Cal Poly’s location in San Luis Obispo makes it one of the best places to visit. It’s a quintessential coastal California town with some 43,000 residents. Located halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles and just minutes from beaches, state parks, landmarks and premium wine regions, it’s also a popular vacation spot. Sunset Magazine has called it the most Californian place in all of California.
The city of San Luis Obispo offers a historic, restored downtown full of restaurants, theatres, art galleries and shops centered around San Luis Obispo Creek, Mission San Luis Obispo and Mission Plaza. San Luis Obispo’s Thursday night Farmer’s Market on Higuera Street has become a model for cities around the state. It’s a mix of fresh produce and flowers, baked goods, restaurant fare and free music all within strolling distance.
San Luis Obispo is just minutes from some of California’s best beaches and original beach cities: Avila Beach (10 miles), Pismo Beach (12 miles), Morro Bay (17 miles), Montaña de Oro State Park (18 miles), Cayucos (18 miles), the Pismo Dunes (28 miles) and world-famous Hearst Castle ( 45 miles).