Information Technology Consultant - Career
Cal Poly is seeking an enthusiastic individual to join a superior, pro-active team in developing and supporting the library technology applications and initiatives within the the Library Information Technology department for the Robert E. Kennedy Library. This position is a temporary, 1 year appointment.
Library Information Technology (LIT) provides assistance to faculty, staff and students to access and use library-related information resources and technologies to carry out their teaching, learning, research and support activities. LIT works closely with other departments of the library in order to support and encourage their technology related initiatives. LIT provides support for library applications, servers, staff computers, public computers, computer labs, equipment checkout services, public events, graphic design, programming and web development, and facilities management.
Under general supervision, the Computer Support Specialist delivers exceptional customer service and provides consultative support to enhance the use and access of technology and information systems. Computer Support Specialists collaborate with fellow technical staff in the library and across campus, using enterprise tools and processes for imaging, setting up, troubleshooting and patching of computers and mobile devices. Duties include user consultation and support, site administration, documentation, and training. This highly responsible professional staff position provides daily oversight, coordination, and delivery of technical support for university faculty, staff and students.
The career level is broad and includes intermediate through senior level positions. Incumbents at this level work relatively independently and possess the experience to be fully proficient in performing most or all of the work assignments defined for their position. Typically, incumbents have acquired the requisite skills and knowledge through a combination of education, training, and progressive work experience to be able to demonstrate competence in independently applying technical judgment to standard and nonstandard applications and systems, solving a wide range of problems and developing practicable and thorough solutions, and using effective communication and listening skills.
- Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a high level of diplomacy and professionalism.
- Working knowledge of tools for performance monitoring, issues tracking, and other office automation or collaboration tools.
- Working knowledge of web applications and sites.
- Comprehensive knowledge in desktop support and demonstrated ability to apply it effectively.
- Working knowledge of common software, application packages, and operating systems. Ability to learn tools for performance monitoring and issues tracking.
- Demonstrated experience with Windows, Mac and mobile device operating systems.
- Working knowledge of media equipment and systems.
- Demonstrated ability to translate technological solutions into terms understandable by a variety of users; demonstrated ability to work with technical and non-technical staff to identify user requirements and translate them into technology-based solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to research and evaluate new technologies and software to meet user needs.
- Ability to use creative problem-solving skills and apply effective technical solutions.
- Ability to apply campus information security policy and standards to develop specific security requirements. Ability to apply security models and frameworks to ensure appropriate security is maintained.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to prepare and deliver formal and informal documentation, presentations, and training to a variety of end users.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to foster and maintain positive and professional working relationships; ability to effectively handle interpersonal interactions at all levels and respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Ability to provide lead work direction and train others.
- Interest and ability to maintain and enhance technical currency.
- General knowledge of requirements for accessibility and other regulatory compliance.
- Degree in computer science or related field.
- Knowledge of project management methods and terminology and ability to work with cross functional teams.
- Working knowledge of data and file structures, database systems and utilities, operating systems, and communication interface programs.
- Working knowledge of media equipment and systems.
- Working knowledge of Active Directory, Office 365 tools and interfaces, Mobile Device Management (MDM) tools, and remote desktop support tools.
How to apply
To apply, visit WWW.CALPOLYJOBS.ORG to complete the required online staff application and apply to requisition #104770. Applicants will have the option of attaching a Cover Letter, Resume and three Letters of Recommendation via the online employment system. Applicants needing computer/internet access may contact Cal Poly Human Resources at: (805) 756-2236, for information on available resources.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly’s values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly’s commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
About Kennedy Library
Integrating traditional library resources and services with digital tools, the Robert E. Kennedy Library continuously adapts its services, programs, and spaces to meet the evolving academic programs, research interests, and needs of the university community. Providing access to information resources, classrooms, computer labs, an expansive 24-hour space, and an array of group and individual study spaces, Kennedy Library is a magnet for students and faculty alike. Annual visitors exceed 1.5 million. Kennedy Library’s innovative peer-to-peer learning and reference program simultaneously leverages the benefits of student-to-student learning and Cal Poly’s signature pedagogical ethos of Learn by Doing. In 2014 the Kennedy Library received the prestigious ACRL Excellence in Academic Libraries award. The library partners with campus organizations to promote faculty development and student success, including several that are located in the library: the Center for Teaching, Learning & Technology; the University Writing & Rhetoric Center; the Academic Skills Center; and the Honors Program. In testimony to the perceived value of the Kennedy Library across the entire campus, various stakeholders and the library are in the process of strategizing, planning and launching a $55M full building renovation, which will increase the library’s ability to provide services and spaces to further support student and faculty success.
The Library Information Technology (LIT) department provides faculty, staff and students access to and facilitates use of library related information resources and technologies to support their teaching, learning, research, and scholarship activities. LIT works closely with other departments of the library in order to develop, manage, support and market technology related initiatives. LIT includes Library Systems and Systems Administration, Desktop Support Services, Programming and Development, Web and UX Development, and Digital Media Production.
For more information, see: http://lib.calpoly.edu/
About Cal Poly
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked comprehensive public university located in San Luis Obispo, California. With more than 18,000 undergraduates and approximately 1000 graduate students, Cal Poly fosters teaching, scholarship, and service in a learn-by-doing environment where students and faculty are partners in discovery. As a polytechnic university, Cal Poly promotes the application of theory to practice. As a comprehensive institution, Cal Poly provides a balanced education in the arts, sciences, and technology, while encouraging cross-disciplinary and co-curricular experiences. As an academic community, Cal Poly values free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
For more information, see: https://afd.calpoly.edu/hr/job-opportunities/prospective
Cal Poly’s location in San Luis Obispo makes it one of the best places to visit. It’s a quintessential coastal California town with some 43,000 residents. Located halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles and just minutes from beaches, state parks, landmarks and premium wine regions, it’s also a popular vacation spot. Sunset Magazine has called it the most Californian place in all of California.
The city of San Luis Obispo offers a historic, restored downtown full of restaurants, theatres, art galleries and shops centered around San Luis Obispo Creek, Mission San Luis Obispo and Mission Plaza. San Luis Obispo’s Thursday night Farmer’s Market on Higuera Street has become a model for cities around the state. It’s a mix of fresh produce and flowers, baked goods, restaurant fare and free music all within strolling distance.
San Luis Obispo is just minutes from some of California’s best beaches and original beach cities: Avila Beach (10 miles), Pismo Beach (12 miles), Morro Bay (17 miles), Montaña de Oro State Park (18 miles), Cayucos (18 miles), the Pismo Dunes (28 miles) and world-famous Hearst Castle ( 45 miles).