Did you know? If you are a Cal Poly student, faculty or staff member you can use most of our online services from the library, your residence hall, your home, or anywhere on the planet if you have online access.
The simplest way to do this is:
Helpful resource links
Technical information about off-campus access
Off-campus access to subscription resources is generally enabled by directing your e-resources usage through the library’s proxy server so you can appear to the resource as if you are on-campus, where internet addresses are automatically permitted to access the subscribed resource.
Below, you will find some tools and techniques for facilitating this access when you are away from campus. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us at ude.yloplacnull@smetsys-bil.
Additional ToolsPrepare a link for embedding in a PolyLearn course or anywhere
- Double-click (or triple-click) the text box above to select the whole URL.
- (Use Ctrl-C to) copy the new enhanced URL.
- (Use Ctrl-V to) paste the new enhanced URL into your document or browser.
The function of this tool can vary between browsers, browser versions, and operating systems. Please, if you have any trouble with it, ensure you are experiencing the issue using the latest version of your browser, then contact us with this information so we can test for your platform. Thank you!
When you’re off-campus, the proxy bookmarklet lets you reload a web page through the Cal Poly Library’s proxy server.
If the page you are visiting is one that the library has a subscription for, using the bookmarklet will enable you to access the resource as if you are on-campus. You will be prompted to log in to My Cal Poly and will be returned to the web page you were on when you clicked the bookmarklet.
How to use the Proxy Bookmarklet
Simply right click on the bookmarklet link and save it as a favorite or bookmark or click and drag it to your bookmarks toolbar. Then, click on your new bookmark whenever you find yourself at an Cal Poly-subscribed resource that requests a password.(Right click and add to favorites/bookmarks)
What if it doesn’t work?
If the library doesn’t subscribe to a particular title or does not subscribe to the resource, you may be still be unable to access the material, or even receive a Proxy Error page. Check out our Interlibrary Loan to see about ordering the material from another library.Browser-specific directions
For Chrome users
To install the EZproxy Bookmarklet in Chrome, drag the link above to your Bookmarks Bar. If your bookmarks bar is hidden, go to the View menu option and select “Always Show Bookmarks Bar.” It is recommended that you put the bookmarklet somewhere prominent in the bar so it is easy to find and click while researching. You can also edit and rename the bookmarklet.
For Firefox users
To install the EZproxy Bookmarklet in Firefox, right click on the above link and select “Bookmark This Link” to add it to your bookmarks or drag the link to your Bookmarks Toolbar. If your bookmarks toolbar is hidden, go to the View menu option, select “Toolbars” and check “Bookmarks Toolbar.” You can also edit and rename the bookmarklet.
For Safari users
To install the EZproxy Bookmarklet in Safari, drag the above link to your Toolbar. If your toolbar is hidden, go to the View menu option and select “Show Toolbar.” It is recommended that you put the bookmarklet somewhere prominent in the bar so it is easy to find and click while researching. You can also edit and rename the bookmarklet.
For Internet Explorer users
To install the EZproxy Bookmarklet in Internet Explorer, right click on the above link and select “Add to Favorites…” from the menu. If a dialogue box asks you if you’d like to continue, click ‘Yes.’ In the ‘Add a Favorite’ options, choose the ‘Create In’ drop-down menu and select ‘Favorites Toolbar.’ You can also rename the bookmarklet here if you want to. Click Add.
For Chrome users
To install the EZproxy Bookmarklet in Chrome,
Step 2: to use the bookmarklet from the page you wish to reload, click the address bar and X out the URL, then type the name you gave the bookmarklet in Step 1 and select it.
For Mobile Safari users
Here is the string for easy copying and pasting:
- If you’re unsure you’re logged in properly, check that this string of letters is somewhere in the URL of the article you’re viewing: ezproxy.lib.calpoly.edu. If you don’t see this, try going through steps 1 or 2 the top of this page and Google Scholar to re-search for the article. Look for the obvious, “Find it At Cal Poly” to the right of results, or click on More beneath a result where “Find it At Cal Poly often appears.”
- We have occasionally seen people have problems when they were either idle or “wandered” from the original session, which can be caused by the portal or OneSearch timing out in the background. If it’s been a while and access seems to stop working, log in and return to the library home page and browse your way back to the article by means of the Databases l
- Sometimes opening another tab or window while doing research can result in dropping out our system. If you start having problems, make sure you haven’t “wandered” too far from your original session.
Need help with this?
No problem. Ask us – we’re here to help.