Frequently Asked Questions
Hours, Location and Contact
- When is the library open?
- What is the difference between Main Library hours and the 24-hour room hours?
- Where is the library?
- Where can I find floor maps of the Library?
- Where can I park?
- Where can I find parking maps at Cal Poly?
- Is there an online directory of Library staff and faculty?
- How can I make suggestions and provide feedback about the library and its services?
- Who can use the 24-hour room space?
- How do I apply for a job at the Library (I'm a student)
- How do I apply for a faculty or staff position at the Library?
- Where can I find study spaces?
- Where can I find a place for my group to meet?
- How do I reserve a group study room?
- Why is there talking on the first and second floors?
- Where can I go for quiet study?
- Where can I find a place to study (graduate students)?
Computing and Printing
Labs, Software and Wireless
- Where can I find a computer?
- Where are the labs?
- What software do the computer labs and laptops have loaded?
- Can I get WIFI in the Library?
- What is a PolyCard?
- How do I print using my PolyCard?
- How do I put money on my PolyCard?
- Is there wireless printing?
- Can I use my Plus Dollars for printing?
- Can I pay you cash for printing?
Hardware and Supplies
- Read the Computing FAQ for information about cameras and scanners.
- Where can I find a stapler, 3-hole punch, tape, etc?
1st Floor PolyConnect 1st Floor Reference 2nd Floor Learning Commons Scissors X X 3-Hole Punch X X X Pencil Sharpener X X X Paper Cutter X Tape X X Stapler X X X Large Stapler X X Scanner X
Laptops and AV Equipment Checkout
Copiers & Fax Machines
- I need help now - what do I do?
- Where can I get research help?
- How can I get help after hours?
- Are there online tutorials that will help me to understand the research process?
- How do I correctly cite my sources?
- Are there online research guides by subject, topic or college?
- How do I find journal articles on a specific topic?
- How do I find peer-reviewed journals?
- How do I find information about copyright?
- Does the Library offer citation software such as EndNote, Refworks, or Zotero?
- How do I find books?
- If I have a specific call number how do I locate the book in the Library?
- Where are the Course Reserve books?
- I need a book that's checked out - what can I do?
- Where is the New Books collection?
- Where is the Browsing collection?
- Where are the Children's books and the K-12 collection?
- How do I check out a book or other resource?
- How do I renew a book?
- How do I check my account?
- How can I put a book on reserve?
- How do I suggest a book be added to the Library's collection?
- How can I view what I've checked out recently and in the past?
- How long can a resource be checked out?
Fees and Fines
- How can I get a book (or other resource including articles) from another library?
- How do I renew an Interlibrary loan?
Journals, Articles and Microforms
- Where is the microfiche collection?
- Where can I find newspapers?
- How do I locate historical newspapers?
- Where can I find magazines/periodicals?
- Where are the maps (topograhical, soil, etc.)?
- How do I use the GIS resources?
- Where are the Government Documents?
Senior Projects and Masters' Theses
- How do I locate, read and print or save Senior Projects?
- How do I submit my Senior Project to the Library?
- How do I submit my Master Thesis?
- How can I read other completed Masters' Theses?
- What services are available to faculty?
- How can I schedule a lab for my class?
- How can I schedule a session with a librarian for my class?
- How extensive is Cal Poly's book collection?
- What about access to journals?
- How can I suggest a purchase to the Library?
- What are my borrowing privileges?
- How can I get books or articles that Cal Poly doesn't have?
- How can I put things on course reserve?
- What services does the library offer students?
- What is "DigitalCommons@CalPoly" and how can it help me?
- How can I learn more about submitting my research to the DigitalCommons@CalPoly, the university's online digital archive?
Special Events and Exhibits
- What kind of special events does the library hold?
- How do I find specific information about Library events and exhibits?