Frequently Asked Questions
Labs, Software and Wireless
- Where can I find a computer?
- We have computer labs on the first and second floors as well as open computers on the third, fourth and fifth floors.
» Computer Labs
- Where are the labs?
- The labs are on the first and second floors.
» View Library Floor Maps
- What software do the computer labs and laptops have loaded?
- » See the Full Software List
- Can I get WIFI in the library?
- WIFI is provided through Mustang Wireless
» Mobile Computing FAQ
- What is a PolyCard?
- The PolyCard is the standard Cal Poly campus ID card.
» PolyCard Web Site
- How do I print using my PolyCard?
- Submit the print job. Swipe your PolyCard at a print station. Select your job. Detailed instructions are provided at the print stations.
» More Information about Printing
- How do I put money on my PolyCard?
- Add money to your Campus Express account online or in person at the PolyCard office.
» More Information about Campus Express
- Is there wireless printing?
- Yes, if you have the proper drivers installed on your laptop.
» Installing Wireless Printing Drivers
- Can I use my Plus Dollars for printing?
- No. Plus Dollars are for dining only.
» More Information about Printing and Prices
- Can I pay cash for printing?
- No. However, Cal Poly Print & Copy on the 1st floor of the Library accepts cash, credit card or debit card.
» Cal Poly Print & Copy Web Site
- How do I print two-sided? One-sided?
- After clicking "Print" you will have the Print box appear. Click the "Properties" button. Click the drop-down box under "2 Sided Print" and select your option. Use "Flip on Long Edge" for 2-sided, portrait-oriented pages. Pages are set to print double-sided black and white by default.
» Changing Default Print Settings
- I can't find my print job, where did it go?
- From within your document, go to File/Print and make sure the printer selected is the printer closest to you (see below chart). Resend the document and if that doesn't work, ask a Computer Support Assistant at the Learning Commons or PolyConnect desk for help.
Library Location Printer Name 1st Floor - PolyConnect Lab Polycard Printer 35-114c 1st Floor - Reference Area, Lab 111B Polycard Printer 35-111x 2nd Floor – All areas Polycard Printer 35-200x 3rd, 4th, 5th Floors – All areas Polycard Printer 35-300x
- Why is it taking so long for my print job to finish? The printer display says "Processing".
- Large documents, especially PDF files, can take between 3-5 minutes to process. If the printer takes longer than that, ask a Computer Support Assistant from the Learning Commons or PolyConnect desk for help. » More Information about Printing
- How can I change how many PowerPoint slides print on a page?
- In PowerPoint, select Print, go to "Handouts" and choose how you would like slides to print.
Laptops and AV Equipment Checkout
- Where can I checkout laptops and AV equipment?
- Checkout laptops and AV equipment at the PolyConnect desk.
» Laptops and AV Checkouts Page
- What is Media Distribution Services?
- » MDS Web Site
Copiers & Fax Machines
- Is there a copy machine in the library?
- Yes. There are several coin-operated copy machines on the first floor and on the second and third floors near the elevator.
» Copier Locations
- Is there a fax machine in the library?
- Yes. Cal Poly Print & Copy will send faxes.
» Cal Poly Print & Copy Web Sites
- How can I convert a document into a PDF?
- Choose "Save As" from the File menu and change Format to PDF.
- Why am I seeing an error message about an expired license?
- Most software licenses are managed by the Cal Poly's ITS department but restarting a computer can eliminate some of these error messages. If, after restarting, you still see this message, notify a Computer Support Assistant at the Learning Commons or PolyConnect desk.
- I have saved my document and I can't find it, where did it go?
- Open the program that you were working in. Most have the ability to "Open Recent" documents, which would allow you to open the item that you were working on. If that doesn't work, check the following folder for your document:
C:/Documents and Settings/liblabs-user/Local Settings/Temp]
- I downloaded an attachment from an email and I can't find it, where did it go?
- Files downloaded from email should appear on the desktop of the computer. Some times they can be found here:
C:/Documents and Settings/liblabs-user/Local Settings/Temp. When saving an attachment, chose "Desktop" for the file location.
- My computer is frozen — the mouse and keyboard do not work, what should I do?
- Most computer problems can be fixed by restarting the computer. BEFORE you restart, remember that all your files will be deleted once the computer is shut off. To perform a "hard" restart hold down the power button until the computer completely powers off. Wait 10 seconds, and then turn the computer back on. Always save your work to a flash drive. Save early, save often.
- The computer is on but the monitor is black, what should I do?
- Check to see what color the light is on the bottom right of the monitor.
White: click the power button to turn the monitor on.
Orange: Move the mouse to awaken the computer from its sleep mode. If that doesn't work, notify a Computer Support Assistant at either the Learning Commons or PolyConnect service desk.
- Why can't my personal laptop connect to the Internet?
- Make sure that your wireless switch is turned on. If that doesn't work, restart your laptop and try again. If that doesn't work, contact the ITS Service Desk to confirm that your network setting are correct. The ITS Service Desk is located in the Computer Science Building (14) room 114 and can be reached at 756-7000.
» ITS Mobile Computing FAQ
Hardware and Supplies
- How do I download pictures from a camera?
- Connect the camera to the computer using a USB cable. The computer shodld detect the camera and allow you to download the pictures.
- Where are the scanners and how do I use them?
- There 4 scanners on the 2nd floor near the Learning Commons desk. There are instructions near each computer equipped with a scanner. If you need further assistance, a Computer Support Assistant from the Learning Commons or PolyConnect desk can help you.
- Where can I find a stapler, 3-hole punch, tape, etc?
1st Floor PolyConnect 1st Floor Reference 2nd Floor Learning Commons Scissors X X 3-Hole Punch X X X Pencil Sharpener X X X Paper Cutter X Tape X X Stapler X X X Large Stapler X X Scanner X