Overall Usage Statistics
Who uses the Library?
The answer is almost everybody. In fact, 83% of Cal Poly students use the Library at least weekly. Only 3% have never used the library because they "have not had to yet." We know that the Library had over 1.2 million visits last year, which works out to about 665 visits per student, per year!
- 28% use the Library daily.
- 64% use the Library regularly (weekly or monthly).
- 5% use the Library only during finals.
- 3% never use the library.
How do students use the Library?
The Library is a social hub on campus, with coffee and comfortable seating and other amenities. But a lot of serious studying happens at the Library. In fact 87% of respondents use the library to study! Almost 68% use the library to work on group projects. Over 50% use the Library's laptops or computers and more than 45% are doing research. What was rated the next highest activity? In a word, coffee.
- 87% use the Library for studying
- 68% use the Library for group projects
- 50% use the Library's laptops and computers
- 45% use the Library to do research
- 1% are getting coffee, chilling, relaxing, and resting
How long do students stay in the Library?
With all the studying that is going on students tend to use the Library for several hours at a time. In fact, 90% of students use the Library for an hour or more at a time. And of those students 18% spend an average of 3 or more hours per visit, 33% stay for 2-3 hours, and 39% for 1-2 hours. Someone's doing their 25-35!
- 10% 1 hour or less
- 39% 1-2 hours
- 33% 2-3 hours
- 18% 3 or more hours