Library Room Expands Hours and Access
The Robert E. Kennedy Library is now more accessible to students and faculty. The existing Reading Room is being converted into a Study Room that will remain open 24 hours a day beginning in mid-October 2007. Regular hours for the entire library are also being expanded.
"Students have repeatedly asked for longer hours to support study in the library. We agree and will do everything possible to make this happen," said Michael D. Miller, Dean of Library Services.
- The new 24-hour Study Room will have a PolyCard scanner at the door to limit overnight use to the Cal Poly community.
- Additional security measures include closed circuit cameras, emergency call buttons, and periodic campus police surveillance.
Expanded hours for all of the library
- New library hours for the main library will be 7 a.m. to 2 a.m., Monday through Thursday, with reduced hours on Fridays and weekends.
- Although the library will remain open until 2 a.m., most staffed service desks, such as the Research Help Desk and the Learning Commons, may close earlier.
Food and Drink
- The library is also relaxing its policy to accommodate reasonable food and drink consumption.
- Please dispose of your food waste appropriately.
"Student schedules are incredibly busy," said Miller. "By extending the library's hours and accommodating reasonable food and drink, we hope to relieve some of that pressure and help foster student success."