Robert E. Kennedy Library Faculty Co-Creator of New Open Access Journal
Library faculty members Marisa Ramirez from California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, and Isaac Gilman from Pacific University in Oregon, have announced the creation of a new open access, peer-reviewed journal.
The Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication is dedicated to library-led scholarly communication initiatives, online publishing and digital projects. Ramirez and Gilman are co-editors in collaboration with an editorial board composed of experienced and respected library practitioners.
Currently, this core area of library services is not specifically represented in the literature. Just as resource sharing, collection management and other areas have journals dedicated to best practices, there is a need for this growing area of library services to establish a scholarly community.
The Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication will provide a shared intellectual space for scholarly communication librarians, institutional repository managers, digital archivists, digital data managers and related professionals. Library practitioners can share ideas, strategies, research and pragmatic explorations of library-led initiatives related to such areas as institutional repository and digital collection management, library publishing/hosting services and authors' rights advocacy efforts.
The first issue is planned for early 2012, with rolling publication of quarterly issues thereafter. In keeping with principles of open access, all content will be licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
As technology, scholarly communication, the economics of publishing, and the roles of libraries all continue to evolve, the work shared in JLSC will inform practices that strengthen librarianship.
Founding editorial board members
- Deborah Barreau (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)
- Pamela Bluh (University of Maryland, School of Law)
- Michael Boock (Oregon State University)
- Amy Buckland (McGill University)
- Faye Chadwell (Oregon State University)
- JQ Johnson (University of Oregon)
- Katherine Johnson (California Institute of Technology)
- Rebecca Kennison (Columbia University)
- Ann Lally (University of Washington)
- Shawn Martin (University of Pennsylvania)
- Allyson Mower (University of Utah)
- Terry Owen (University of Maryland)
- Paul Royster (University of Nebraska)
- Lisa Schiff (California Digital Library)
- Sarah Shreeves (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Susan Wells Parham (Georgia Institute of Technology)
For more information: http://lib.calpoly.edu/services/faculty/scholars/