Inclusive culture and Kennedy Library
Please join us for events at the library throughout the month of April. Read more!
"Foster diversity and cultural competency in a global context."
— Cal Poly Strategic Plan, 2011
Like all libraries, the Kennedy Library has a deep commitment to promoting and serving a diverse and inclusive culture.
We collect and preserve diverse perspectives, experiences, and contributions to knowledge, so that they can become part of the common knowledge we build on as human beings.
We also work continually to foster diversity in our work together, by valuing the distinctive contributions everyone makes to a culture of excellence.
We offer a spirit of welcome and respect that informs all the library’s programs, and all our services. Our lively programs, events, and exhibits celebrate and share different experiences and perspectives.
In 2011 President Jeffrey Armstrong shared Cal Poly’s new strategic plan, which includes a commitment to “foster diversity and cultural competency in a global context.” At Kennedy Library this responsibility is shared by all of our staff and faculty.
One way we support this joint commitment is through the Kennedy Inclusive Culture Committee (KICC), formed in 2012 to facilitate and coordinate activities to foster an organizational and service environment that actively welcomes and helps others experience cultural, global, and personal diversity. Each year this committee identifies activities and programs focused on three areas:
- outreach to first generation, non-traditional, and underrepresented students;
- library recruiting and organizational and personal learning; and
- public programs and services that offer visibility, voice, and exposure to culturally diverse and global experiences and perspectives.
Membership in KICC includes library faculty, staff, managers, and students.
KICC Members, 2012-2013
- Anna Gold, ex officio, University Librarian
- Simone Hidds-Narcisse, Student Representative
- Cheryl May, Head, Library Administrative Services
- Samantha Mora, Library Administrative Services
- Katherine O’Clair, chair, College Librarian for CAFES
- Holly Richmond, Access Services
- Selene Roman, Student Representative
- Peter Runge, Head, Special Collections and University Archives
For more information, please contact the committee at firstname.lastname@example.org